Help! How do I become the new Owner?

sabunab

Registered
:) Hi,

This is my first post,
I have bought a 2nd Hand G4 933. OSX is installed, but the old owner of the computer has all te main priviliges, Does anyone know where I can change the name of the computer ie to say: "Steve's Computer" (me) and not "Matthews Computer" (old owner).
I also have limeted priviliges as a secondary user, ie: I cant chance the Libary/preferences folder e.t.c.

What I really want to do is set myself up as the new owner, with all priveliges in the system. Nobody else will be using my machine so I'm not fussed about security issues.

I just don't want to be faced with "You are not authorised to do this" all the time, it is really annoying, I would just like to boot up and use the system, no login, password. and no restrictions.

Is this possible?

many thanks all.

AFAIK, the only way to accomplish this is to inialize the hard drive so that all data is lost, and then reinstall OS X.

Sure formatting and reinstalling is the quick, easy fix, but if you'd rather be confused and complicated you can:

1. Change the hard drive name by clicking once on the HD name and waiting for a few seconds. This will allow you to edit the type below the HD icon.

2. Make yourself an administrator. In System Preferences -> Users, edit your user, and under the Password tab, check allow this user to administer this computer. You have to be administrator do to this - do you know the old owner's password? Or you can log in as root to do this once.

3. Change ownership of files on the command line. Launch Terminal in Applications -> Utilities. Say you wanna change ownership of an application. In Terminal type:

cd /Applications
sudo chown yourusername applicationname

rinse, and repeat this last line for any files you want to be yours. Course, you could also format & reinstall like genghiscohen said. ;)

That's great guy's,

Such quick replies!
I would ideally like to stay away from a re-install, (unless it is less painless than I am thinking)
Can I re-install OS X without it affecting my 9.2 setup?
How do I unistall OS X?

I have tried changing the previous users privs, and added myself as a new user but have not been able to fully get rid of the previous owner altogether, + I dont know his password. and give the new user (me) the full system access.

I will try them out when I get home.

I hate fiddleing with risky business too much as, the machine is my livelyhood.

Beautiful machine by the way, I upgraded from my G4 350 and wow! what a difference the 933 has made!

That sounds like a good answer to my problem.
I will try it when I get home.

It may sound strange that the computer was not set up for me when I bought it.
I actually got it through an auction from a liquidised company selling unwanted stock. At a good price, Its OK. nothing illeagal has been going on.

Thanks again

Back