Help! I messed up, Now I cant login as root user

sabunab

Registered
Hi people.

I wander if anyone can suggest something, Here is my problem:
I read a confusing apple document that made me think enabling the root user would be a good idea to have full access privs.....e.t.c

So I set it up, logged in as root.
while I was root user, I thought it would be a good idea to change the privliges on my system HD disk to get info/Access and Privileges/everyone - read and write.
Dont ask why?
It took a while to complete the task, and I thought oops....

then I logged in as my normal username, and when I went to launch classic, it said that I didn't have privliges - Seems I lost privlieges I had before.

Then I thought if I disabled root user, this would solve the problem.
So I logged in as root again, and changed the root user in netinfoManager to be disabled.

Then re- logged in as normal, but same issue arrose when I tried to start up classic.

I found a new apple support file called "Repair Privileges" that seemed to be the anser to my problem, but unfortunately the downloaded file would not open with disc copy - privileges error again.

So then i tried to log in as root, but It would not let me in, as if I was typing the wrong password.

And everytime I try to re- enable the root user from netinfoManager it say's i must autenticate, but does not make a difference or enable the root user.

Sorry to rant on,

Does anyone know how I can get my privieges set back to how they were before - cause Im sure it was a mistake changing the access privileges on my HD to Everyone /Read Write.

Or maybe its something else??

It would be great to try the Repair Privileges apple download, but I simply can't open it with disk copy - file Attached

I would be infinately happy for any suggestions.

Steve (flash designer, London)

Back