HELP!? iPod to work with Itunes 2 on OS9?

FunkSkunk

Registered
I thought that since Apple is so amazing of a company that i wouldn't have any problems getting an ipod and hooking it up to my older Mac running OS 9.2.2 .... yeah right! :mad:
After a bit of search i find that you can't download songs from itunes unless you have OS10 running itunes 3 or better. WTF?! There has got to be another way around this, I am not going to pay more money to run a heavier operating system on my G4!!! I know there has got to be another way, somebody please help me out? :(

That's a simple business technique and Apple for you... forcing you to spend 100 bucks more (which is still insane, as with windows xp) on a new OS just to use another one of there expensive products.

I would just like to put the note out there that OS 9 hasn't been supported for a few years, and it's been 4 or 5 years since it has been the current OS.

The only iPods supported by OS 9 are the 1st and 2nd gens.

There's this linux on iPod project which could help.
http://ipodlinux.org/Main_Page
http://ipodlinux.sourceforge.net/index.shtml
I'm not sure what iPod you're trying to use (3rd, 4th, 5th generation? mini or nano?), you have to give more information in order to receive more.

And: Try and keep your voice down a little... Attacking people does not help you on macosx.com. (I've removed all useless posts from the thread. Consider this a warning. The thread will stay alive as long as it stays useful for people who want to use newer iPods on older hard-/software.)

a) first read system requirements before every purchasing any hardware or software and b) I don't think there is any developer out there who supports OS 9 and anything iPod related.. so you're pretty much out of luck. It CAN be done, but no one wants to support an old operating system anymore. Check out http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60971 for system requirements for each of the iPods

Hey Folks, fryke is steering this topic in a more productive direction and it appears FunkSkunk is responding in kind.

Stop the pile on.

[Dons gas mask and bad-manners-laugh-o-meter.]

FunkSkunk, you're screwed bud. Try eMusic.

Doug

I had the same question a few months ago when I was considering buying my sister an iPod for her birthday. I never found a solution (and thus I didn't buy an iPod). I just don't think there's any way. It seems like it would be easy enough to write a program to do this, but as far as I know nobody has.

<rant>
The iPod is just a plain ol' hard disk, that stores plain ol' files. Therefore, it is not unreasonable to expect (or at least hope) that there's some way to work with it on "unsupported" systems, especially when you consider that Apple's system "requirements" are often completely arbitrary (FireWire for Tiger? Ooookay). These days, many companies' listed "requirements" just mean "don't ask us for support unless you've also paid us for the following products".

I'll never understand why people act like they're dealing with the scourge of mankind whenever someone mentions that they're using hardware and/or software that's — *gasp* — several years old! As if the problem is the user's fault for not upgrading every day like a good little boy.
</rant>

Mikuro, the problem with OS 9 is that the drivers for these iPods do not exist. I don't believe they show up on the computer in OS 9 because you still need to get the drivers for them. I know they are plain ol' hard drives, but OS 9 is not a modern OS and doesn't behave like XP or OS X when it comes to "normal drives".

And almost all of the iPod programs now are written in Cocoa, not Carbon, which would be required to have it work in OS 9. If the guy behind Yamipod allowed his program to be compiled for OS 9 then that would be the only program, but I don't think he would (his app is written with REALbasic).

You should be able to find Panther (the retail version, of course) for less than 129 USD, and depending on the free disk space and amount of RAM you have, it would run nicely on that Dual 450 G4...

Back