Help on attempting login lag on 10.1

bubbajim

Mac-Junkie
Hello to whomever may read this. This is not a serious issue and currently there is not panics nor crashes appearant to me.

For awhile I have noticed that my profile will take about an extra 20 seconds to load the dock.app. When I entered the console, I noticed a couple of things that may be cause and hope that this would be something you can assist me in figure out what it means.

I had an error that read: DOCK: CFMessagePortSendRequest returned -1

This is repeated about 2 - 3 times at startup.

I also had an error that read about 20 times, but I think I found out what it was: it read something like this: RE_registerFont: Freetype Code not available. I found .OTF font files in System/Library/Fonts/ that did not seem to be neccessary to me since they contained Janpanese characters in them. Moving these .OTF files out of the fonts folder did help by removing the repeated message in the console log, but did not help in the lag issue with the dock though.

The last message I got through the console that may be releavant is: Nov 12 06:59:43 localhost WindowServer[540]: CGXDisableUpdate: Updates
disabled by connection 0x5907 for over 1.000000 seconds.

This message comes up periodically within the log and during the day while on the computer. I do not notice any issues during a normal day of use.

I am certain that it has something to do with Sendmail. I have been tinkering around with that for several weeks via telnet and finally have gotten it to send out mail, but I may have some errors in it. I may just revert sendmail back to original state to see if this is the cause of my lag. Any additional insight into what may be the cause would be appreciated. If further information is needed I'll clear my console log and restart and make a clean log of the login process.

Specs: PowerMac G4 Gigabit Ethernet Dual 450mhz
1GB ram. Drives (2) 60gb drives one contains system. (2) 80gb.
Running: 10.1 (5L21).

I created a new user and transferred my files and setting to that profile and everything worked fine. I still decided to format the drive and start over. Updating and re-installing programs only took me an hour. So much easier than doing the same on windows.:D .

Anyways.. I have an idea for the forums if any Admiin is interested in hearing me out.

With the introduction os Unix to the mac world, we now have a slew of new error codes and warning information to read through and try to interpret. I thought that it would be a great idea if MacOSX.com had a forum that contained just error codes and warning such as what you get from the console.

This would be a handy archive to look through for anyone who had said this at one time or another, " I wish I knew what it meant 'place your error message here'".

Hope you agree too and I look forward too see continued growth in this site.:p

An error code forum would be great, maybe we could put it in the FAQ section have you pm'd the admin about it?

I guess that would be the next step. I'm fairly new to the forums and thought that if enough users felt the same way that the Admins would notice and make the decision (if anything was do be done about it). I didn't think it would be appropriate for a newbie to make such recommendations being new to the forums and all. Maybe this thread to be moved out of here and to General Discussions so that a poll could be taken.

The admin here rocks, it doesn't matter how many post or anything, PM him and he will take it into consideration, there are so many threads I don't think he gets a chance to look through them all so PM him and see what he says

Back