Help the X11 idiot.

josh3dmaker

Registered
OK, after a ~40 mb download, I finally install the new X11 beta from www.apple.com. However, I can't find any documentation for newbies and can't get it to do anything.

First I open up the little X11 app in my Application folder and a xterm window loads up. After staring at it for a while i type startx and get the following message:

Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 0
If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
and start again.

OsVendorFatalError
AbortDDX
Quitting XDarwin...

Ok.... I try some other commands with no luck. I download fink from versiontracker becuase everything I have read online says I need it. OK, I try my best to install it and now I have a folder called sw filled with random stuff I don't understand. Hmmmm. I type fink into the terminal. "Command not found." damn.

OK, I admit it I have no idea what I am doing... can anybody point me into the right direction?

Try downloading a windows manager like KDE or Gnome.

If you have installed fink type this command

sudo apt-get install bundle-gnome

the command above will download a binary of Gnome.

Also what do you have in your .cshrc file in your home file ?

to open this goto your home folder in the terminal and type pico .cshrc.

Thanks

Yeah dude, when that xterm loads up, you are in. The way apple's X11.app comes, it installs a window manager allready - thats why the xterm has an aqua window arround it.

All you have to do now is download some cool apps that run in x11.

xchat is my personal favorite (irc client... see below).

startx failed because *it was allready started* :).

My guess is that you'd prefer to install a pre-compiled program, or atleast have the computer walk you through it. Try http://macosx.forked.net/ for nice pre-compiled x11 apps.

Also, the fink people have put together a nice group of applications similar to the FreeBSD Ports project (though not as nice, imo). Fink is extremely popular with most mac+x11 users. http://fink.sourceforge.net/

Enjoy!

Back