Help With Buying An External DVD Player

alamunky

Registered
I have a 1ghz G4 Powerbook right now that comes with a combo drive. I am now looking for an external DVD RW right now to burn DVDs (mainly to save some hard disk space), but I don't know exactly which ones will be compatible with OS 10.3 and which ones work or not. If anyone could recommend me which external dvd players are good for OS 10.3, I'd appreciate it. Right now, I'm not looking to spend no more than $200 for one. Thank you.

LaCie <www.lacie.com> are a good place to start. They're one of the few 3rd party brands that make for-Mac hardware. They are pretty expensive though. Not sure about USA prices, but here is Australia it's hard to find an external below $250-$300.

I should say though that I have had problems with a Lacie ext. burner, and had to return it. The salesman assured me it was a one-off, but I'm not entirely convinced.

One thing to keep in mind: external DVD players/burners are NOT compatible with Apple software, such as Apple DVD Player. If you wanna watch DVDs on the ext. you will have to watch it through VLC (which is pretty dodgy). You will also not be able to burn DVDs directly through Apple apps like iDVD.

There may be a way around it (anyone know of a way?), but ask around before settling on anything.

hope that helps :)

Back