Help with figuring out my IP address..

SCARECROW

Shaguar Pimp
I have a DSL connection at work, of which is shared by a lan of about 10 other macs..

There is a both a router and a hub I think...

Anyways, I want to know how I can find my actual IP of my workstation, other than just 10.1.1.19 or whatever...

The outgoing IP for the internet connection is 204.200.146.4 (not really, but close)....

So,..

From home I try to connect to that IP, and it doesn't work.. I have Apple Remote Desktop installed on both machines.. my work and and my home... but how do I figure out what the real IP for our DSL is? Is there a way to sniff this.. or maybe a way to traceroute or something?

Thanks a lot, as I really need to connect my machines for file transfers and to be able to control my box at work from home..

Please help!

:D

The 204.200.146.4 IS your DSL IP address - and the router's... the router takes that IP address and gives you a private-IP address (the 10.x.x.x or 192.x.x.x)...

Depending on your router/firewall - it seems that there is a way to forward the port connection to your machine - but that is beyond me and hopefully someone that knows can help you with that...

That would be the only way to connect to your workstation - unless you plug your computer directly to the DSL Modem. Or if you are lucky enough to have a DSL provider that'll do this - you can probably request another IP - but your computer can't be behind the router/firewall in order for it to work.

HTH...
I like being completly unaccessible from the 'net here behind my nice firewall/router! :D

You can find out your 'network visible' IP address by checking this URL:
http://checkip.dyndns.org

You wouldn't be able to contact your Mac from outside, unless your router has certain ports forwarded to your Mac. Without explicit rules being set up, there is no way of mapping from the one external IP address to one particular internal IP address. To do this, you'd likely have to get your admin to set that up for you, unless you have the password for the router...

Thats what i was afraid of...

Bummer...:mad:

I cannot get the admin to go for this, as it would be a security risk for them... I mean, I would then have direct access to their network, server and all...

I was just hoping that there was some way (maybe with Apple Remote Desktop) that I could connect to the machine from home...

Ohh well, thanks guys!

:)

Back