Help With Netinfo

cctryan

Registered
am having a problem with netinfo.

First let me describe my setup. I have a xServe G4 with OS X server 10.3.8 running. I also have 26 G4 emacs, in a computer lab, that are running OS X 10.3.8. The xserve is serving as a netinfo master for the 22 emacs in my computer lab. So when you log onto the emacs they authenticate using the accounts in the netinfo database on the server.

The last few months at least once, sometimes twice, a week netinfo goes down on the server and will not come back up. This causes a problem because users can not log onto the server or emacs. The only way to fix it is to restart the sever. I need to fix this because my users keep losing processes they have started. Below are some lines form the syslog the last time this happened. It says netinfo was restarted, but it never comes back up.

Mar 13 09:04:05 configd[90]: posting notification com.apple.system.config.network_change
Mar 13 09:04:05 mach_init[2]: Server 0 in bootstrap d03 uid 0: "/usr/sbin/lookupd": exited as a result of signal 1 [pid 172]
Mar 13 09:04:05 configd[90]: posting notification com.apple.system.config.network_change
Mar 13 09:04:05 nibindd[171]: Shutting down NetInfo servers
Mar 13 09:04:05 nibindd[171]: Restarting NetInfo
Mar 13 09:04:07 lookupd[10862]: lookupd (version 324.11) starting - Sun Mar 13 09:04:07 2005

I have seen in many place that 10.3 deprecates netinfo greatly, and that you should use ldap. I am leaning that way, but want to see if I can fix netinfo first.

Chris

It appears that the server is loosing it's connection, so it's resetting itself. Note that you don't have a line saying it's starting back up the NetInfo servers. NetInfo and lookupd are starting back up, but in a "local" mode.

I'll search around for some information on this (I haven't messed with having a NetInfo server personally), but in the meantime, make sure you don't have a bad connection somewhere (bad hubs and/or bad lines).

Back