Hidden pair of scissors in the dock!

Originally posted by Matrix Agent
Gah is simply "GAH." Do not meddle with the powers that be. Some questions cannot be answered.:D

hmm...k...when in rome...

GAAAAAAHHHHHHH

I've always been under the assumption that Gah! was less akin to Bah! and Ack! as it resembles the sentiments expressed in Feh!

It certainly depends on the context, but yes- FEH can be, in some situations, synonymous with GAH.

I've always likened gah to an aggressive ugh... implicating frustration to the point of anger, with a hint of resignation or abandon.

While ack! can also be compared to it, ack! often is used for a discovery or some kind of surprise, whereas ugh and the eventual gah are presented to portray a passage of time and possibly tedium.

Feh, meh, and all other -eh exclamatives and utterancen are often more purposed towards expressing indifference with varying degrees of indignation or petulence.

Beware, though, as the highly versatile ah and the oft-used bah are not thusly analogous, where ah relies heavily on context and punctuation, intoning fright to newfound understanding to even battle cries. Bah is much more kin to gah, in that it's very dismissive (but not defeated, like gah) response.

:)

Originally posted by .dev.lqd
While ack! can also be compared to it, ack! often is used for a discovery or some kind of surprise, whereas ugh and the eventual gah are presented to portray a passage of time and possibly tedium.

nonononono... Ack! is for the discovery of a shocking truth, whereas Gah! is the discovery of a surprising truth (the level of capitalisation - gah! Gah or GAH! defining the degree of surprise).

"GAH! That's nuts!" as originally quoted by scope therefore, is an implication of the most intense surprise possible at the revelation of this phenomenon. Personally I propose that the dynamic range of three letter exclamations is too limited for people as expressive and eloquent as found in this forum, and propose the introduction of G*h, where ‘*’ is a number of ‘a’s from 1 to 10 that represents the intensity of emotion.

Therefore: Gaaaaah!

Bernie :eek:)

you could also inflect the emotion by using capitalisation.

Gaaah - more aggressive, as in shockingly surprised. Potentially not agreeing. The more capitals, the less agreement.

gaaah - more of a sudden wonderment of agreeing. A moment of enlightenment almost.

I suppose, using this principle, the modern Archimedes would rush down the street shouting 'gah' as in 'I've found it', and his peers could say 'Gah' (as in 'we vermently don't agree).

R.

I agree to bighairydog, "Ack!" is more like "oh no!" or "oof!". Next on the list is "Argh!", then "Aaaaaargh!", "AAAAAAARGH!!!" and so on.
"DUH!", "DAH!" and all other three-letter words starting on D and ending on H usually means "haha, didn't you know that?" or something similar to that.

Or as an alternative we could use regular words to describe our reaction to an event in such a way that anyone could understand...

[laughs evilly]

nah... too boring

Bernie :eek:)

OK - I've just wiped my mouth on a napkin that had (a lot of) wasabi on it -

AAIIYEEEEEE!!! seems appropriate.

R.

"DUH!", "DAH!" and all other three-letter words starting on D and ending on H usually means "haha, didn't you know that?" or something similar to that.
Unless you count "Doh!", which of course means "I did something foolish!" or similar.

Oh, and since I don't want to be flamed....

Gah!

Back