Hiding dock icons

Mike Adams

Registered
Is there a simple way to prevent an applications icon from appearing in the dock when the program is running?

Thanks

You can hide the dock by setting the preference for it in System Preferences (lightswitch)>Dock. Just click the box next to Automatically hide....

But hiding the dock hides everything: I just want specific icons hidden

Zammy-Sam: OK, I had already found the post you point to. I'm just lazy, I was hoping someone had a little utility I could use where I could have it do a batch job.

Cheryl, that's not what he wants...

To hide an app's icon in the Dock, control/right-click on it and select Show Package Contents. Find the file "info.plist" and open it in a text editor (TextEdit, pico, etc.). Look for the following:
Code:
	<key>NSUIElement</key>
	<string>0</string>
Change the 0 to a 1 and you're set.

EDIT: Never mind, you found it.

There's also a really nice free app called Dockless. You can find it at your favorite download site.

hazmat said:
There's also a really nice free app called Dockless. You can find it at your favorite download site.

Great. I just downloaded it and it works like a charm

Someone else pointed out that if you have an app in the login file you can use the System Preferences to make it invisible

Thanks for all the help

Mike Adams said:
Someone else pointed out that if you have an app in the login file you can use the System Preferences to make it invisible

Sounds very interesting! Can you share how this works?

Zammy-Sam said:
Sounds very interesting! Can you share how this works?
The information I was sent is "In the System Preferences click on 'Login Items' The window that opens lets you set items to load on startup and each has a check box to determine whether or not it is visible."

Since I had already used Dockless to hide the app, I haven't tried this other method

Back