Home Network, Ethernet Trouble

shmeqn

Registered
Hello:

I just finished moving and I'm in the process of setting up my home network which consists of a Mac G4, Dell Dimension, Linksys Firewall/Router and a Westell 6100 DSL modem.

I decided to install the DSL through the Mac, as it is my primary computer. I bypassed the Linksys FW/R during the install, however when it came time to verify the modem was configured properly, the Ethernet LED was out. I switched to the Dell and successfully configured the DSL modem.

I set the Linksys in place to complete the home network and made the following observations: (1) The Dell can access the internet and can see the Linksys. (2) The Mac cannot see the internet nor the Linksys. (3) I cannot ping the Mac from the Dell or vice-versa.

I opened the Mac and verified the NIC card was seated properly.

Then I remembered..... Before I moved, I installed Quicktime 7 and had immediate trouble with both Quicktime and iTunes. I made an attempt to trash Quicktime 7 and regress to 6.52 from the installer on apple.com, but that was unsuccessful as well. After reading about similar fates on the macosx boards, I trashed all my preferences and reinstalled OSX to version 10.3. This fixed Quicktime and iTunes problem. I then packed-up my home network.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Eric

Back