~/Home on the move?

octane

I have issues, OK!
Found the following here:

Ask MacSlash: Network-Mounted Home Directories?

posted by Cannonball on Friday February 27, @05:24PM
from the panther-server-perhaps dept.

rekoil writes "I have several machines at home running OS X, one of which is a Powerbook, along with a Linux server running NFS. I would love to be able to mount my /Users directory on each machine from the server in order to keep a common set of home directories among the multiple clients, but this obviouly won't work with a mobile laptop. I've looked at next-gen filesystems such as OpenAFS and Coda, but OpenAFS' disconnected mode is still in development and Coda doesn't have MacOS client code yet. Any solutions?"

What I want to know is, are we any closer to this?

I know there was a rumor that Apple were going to bundle something like that into Panther, but didn't make the cut.

And then the idea was revived and called: 'home on the iPod'. I let you -- fair reader -- work out what Apple were thinking of, there...

Open Directory in OS X Server allows this already.

On a side-note, Octane, what do you do all day? :p

Ricky said:
Open Directory in OS X Server allows this already.

Yes, but I don't run OS X Server, I want to be able to do this with G4 and my iBook.

Ricky said:
On a side-note, Octane, what do you do all day? :p

In between trying to keep up with the hectic and largely indolent lifestyle of my girlfriend, I work from home...

Home on iPod and server based home folders that 'go with you' on a mobile computer are quite different things.

And why should we be any closer? It's February 28 here...

fryke said:
Home on iPod and server based home folders that 'go with you' on a mobile computer are quite different things.

That's how the article read to me.

fryke said:
And why should we be any closer? It's February 28 here...

I don't know what you mean...

Back