How do I create a java archive (.jar file)

vrm

Registered
Warning: I am NOT a programmer/developer; I just admire them.

After doing the Google thing, I stumbled through and installed XCode (it's seems Project Builder does not exist). However, when I look at the project types, I can not find just plain Java (just the Cocoa-Java thing??). I am assuming that I could save a Java project as a .jar.

Why do I need to do this? There is this slideshow applet that I want to use that requires that I stuff a config.txt file and my images into a .jar. This is the first script/application I have found that allows fade transitions between images; it's for a website.

Please keep answers in plain english; and I would appreciate a step-by-step explanation.

I guess you need to know that I am on Mac OS 10.4.3

Thanks.

Vanessa

Vanessa,

There are no shortcuts to Glory. You need to learn how to program if you want to write code in Java. Make friends with a computer science major who will tutor you. Have your friend recommend a really good book on Java programming.

I am not trying to write a program. For that, I would start with a book or online tutorial and then take classes. An applet that I wish to use requires that I stuff a conf.txt files and images into a .jar file.

From what I have found overnight: Project Builder for Java would have done the trick, but that seems to have been replaced by Xcode on Mac OS 10.4.3. My version of Xcode does not seem to include an option for just a plain Java project.

I am not trying to find a shortcut. Programmers have taken the taken to the time to develop free applets and program snippets for folks let me. I am just trying to take advantage of some good work. Unfortunately, the instructions for creating the .jar file included in the applet documentation are for Windows.

If you want to create a pure Java porgram:

Launch Xcode.
Select the File > New File... menu item.
Scroll down to Pure Java.
Select Java Class.

Back