how do i get a windows machine to print through samba to my mac printer

its seems to take forever to add a printer, the page dosent load!!

hmm dosent work!!!

using Jaguar 10.2.3

Try this from www.xlr8yourmac.com:

1. Open Terminal.app. You need super-user privileges (su root or sudo, not discussed here) to perform the following steps.

2. We need to place a symbolic link to the SMB printer spooling module that ships with Jaguar. I'm baffled as to why Apple didn't do this anyways (maybe 10.2.1 or something) as it seems to very trivial to do.

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/smbspool /usr/libexec/cups/backend/smb

3. Now, force cupsd to reload the configuration and make CUPS notice a new spooler location. If you understand how this works, consider yourself a Unix power user.

sudo kill -HUP `ps -axww | grep /usr/sbin/cupsd | grep -v grep | cut -c 1-6` 4. Now, open your favorite web browser and go to the following URL: http://127.0.0.1:631. This is the CUPS Administration Interface.

Click on PRINTERS on the menu bar across the top of the screen and then click the ADD PRINTER button.

5. The NAME is the printer spool name you want to use. NAME cannot contain SPACES. The DESCRIPTION is the human-readable string that appears in Print Center. It may contain spaces. If you don't supply a DESCRIPTION, then NAME is used instead.
The optional LOCATION is helpful for organizations with printers scattered over many, uh, locations.
For example, I used:

NAME: "HP_2100_at_Front_Desk"
DESCRIPTION: "HP LaserJet 2100"

Then, click CONTINUE.

6. The next screen will ask for the DEVICE you want to use to print with. You should see, at the bottom of the list:

"Windows Printer via SAMBA"

This option is detected by CUPS courtesy of that symbolic link we made in the /usr/libexec/cups/backend folder.

Select this option and click CONTINUE.

7. Next, you need to enter the DEVICE URI of the printer. This is fairly simple to formulate (see man smbspool):

smb://username:password@workgroup/server/sharename For example, to print to my printer, I entered:

smb://dylan:password@REALCAFE/LAURA/HP

Where:
* dylan is my Windows username. Obviously, this user must have print privileges.
* password is my Windows password. Since this password is viewable a plain-text in the CUPS configuration and log files, you might consider creating a specific low-privilege Windows user just for printing.
* REALCAFE is my workgroup.
* LAURA is the name of the computer the printer is attached to. You can also use an IP address instead, but being able to use LAURA (the Windows networking/NetBIOS name of the system) make it especially nice, as we use DHCP and Laura's IP address changes daily.
* HP is the name of printer share.

Once you have this information filled in, click CONTINUE.

8. On the next screen, select the MAKE of the printer you are printing to. Only a few types are listed, though if you do a search for CUPS and CUPSOMATIC on the web, you might have luck installing a new printer driver for whatever printer you happen to have. The gimp-print project has lots of high-quality CUPS drivers for many printers ( http://www.allosx.com/1030154694/index_html). I happen to have an HP, so I selected HP.

Then, click CONTINUE."

Back