How do I know if my PB is receiving a wireless signal?

TerryMcK

Registered
When I'm on my Airport network, the little icon appears in the menu bar. However, when I've been in places recently that should have wireless access, I don't see a similar icon, and I haven't been able to connect. (Perhaps there was no signal at all, but I'm not sure I knwo how to tell one way or the other.)

Is there some desktop indication of being on a wireless network, or do you need to go into the Network system preferences to manually look for it? (A friend's PC has a little red light that comes on on the keyboard whenever it's receiving a signal.)

Terry
15" PB, G4, 768Meg RAM

If you're running OSX...

In the applications folder, look for "Internet Connect." Double-click. Once its window emerges, click on "Airport" (top of window). You should now see the network name and the signal strength. Then, make sure there's a check mark next to "show airport status in menu bar."

The airport status icon shows up on the right side of the menu bar. It looks like a hand-fan (think of Japanese women wearing kimonos -- they hold fans).

How shaded is this icon on your screen? If fully shaded, great signal! If shaded halfway-through, good enough. If not shaded at all, click on the icon and a drop-down menu will emerge. Make sure your network is selected.

In network prefs. Select Airport. Set to Automatically join networks and allow it to create networks. Mine finds networiks on its own with these settings.

Download Konfabulator and get Ricky's CompactAirPort. Then you can put it over your desktop, set it partially transparent, make it unclickable, and always know what's going on.

Back