How do you remove Font Reserve

Pardus

Lurks: 15,289
I wasn't particularily keen on Suitcase so I switched to Font Reserve. After 2 months I have not warmed up to it and think it is time to go back to suitcase. However, Font reserve moves all your fonts around including all your system fonts. Does anyone know where I can find info on how to restore my fonts to their previous states/locations. I searched through the font reserve site but came up empty.

Any help is much appreciated.

Did you have FR "move" the fonts or "copy" the fonts? I can't remember if FR has that option, though I assume it does.

If FR copied the fonts to its own database, then you're fine. Just do a search on Fonte Reserve and kill all the files (is there an uninstaller?).

If FR "moved" the fonts to new locations (which I don't think it does) it's going to be more of a pain to figure out where all the fonts resied originally. I can post lists of the system fonts and locations if you need them.

the system fonts should stay, the other fonts will be moved or copied to the font reserve database(root/users/shared/). I use copy, all system fonts should be in the user/lib/fonts folder and root/lib/font

I might also recommend Font Agent Pro. I actually purchased and used all three [Suitcase, FR and FAP) (not simultaneously) and found that FAP is slightly preferred. They each have their pros and cons, none is perfect.

FR has the best font previewer since you can view multiple fonts against each other. However, I found it flaky and crashy.

Suitcase was solid, but had the idioitic font preview where you have to command or option click on the font to see it. So lame.

FAP is a bit pokey given that it's a Cocoa app, but has the best all around previewing and font searching. Also, it now has plugins for auto-activation in Photoshop, Indesign and Illustrator (though the functionality is flaky and needs work). Also there's no way to view all the characters of a selected font.

Ya i used the move function...not very smart.

If you could post those font lists that would be great. I am no worried about my 3rd party ones but dont want to whack my system by messing with the important one.

the root list

GillSans.dfont
#Gungseouche.dfont
#HeadlineA.dfont
BigCaslon.dfont
NISC18030.ttf
Georgia
????.ttf
????.ttf
Courier New
BiauKai.dfont
Copperplate.dfont
Seoul.dfont
Papyrus.dfont
AppleMyungjo.dfont
Skia.dfont
Taipei.dfont
MarkerFelt.dfont
Times New Roman
Optima.dfont
#PCmyoungjo.dfont
Beijing.dfont
Apple LiSung Light.dfont
Kai.dfont
Verdana
Brush Script
Arial
Arial Narrow
Zapfino.dfont
Cochin.dfont
Baskerville.dfont
AmericanTypewriter.dfont
#Pilgiche.dfont
Arial Rounded Bold
Arial Black
????.ttf
Comic Sans MS
Song.dfont
Herculanum.dfont
Fang Song.dfont
HelveticaNeue.dfont
Didot.dfont
Futura.dfont
Trebuchet MS
Webdings

the user list
Copperplate Gothic Bold
Arial Black
MyriaBol
Wingdings
Myriad
Arial
Century Gothic
MyriaBolIta
Impact
Monotype Sorts
Comic Sans MS
Times New Roman
Curlz MT
Copperplate Gothic Light
Edwardian Script ITC
Lucida Handwriting
Tahoma
Verdana

I think i added Myriad for Illustrator 10, so ignore those becuase I added them, not sure how many though.

Those ???? are chinese chars i think, they didn't translate

Root/Library/Fonts

Hangangche.dfont
Arial
MarkerFelt.dfont
Arial Black
Comic Sans MS
#Shinmyoungjo.dfont
Arial Narrow
Didot.dfont
Trebuchet MS
AmericanTypewriter.dfont
GillSans.dfont
Zapfino.dfont
Herculanum.dfont
BigCaslon.dfont
#Taegraphic.dfont
Georgia
#HeadlineA.dfont
Webdings
Copperplate.dfont
Papyrus.dfont
Taipei.dfont
Arial Rounded Bold
Beijing.dfont
Baskerville.dfont
Brush Script
Verdana
Times New Roman
Optima.dfont
HelveticaNeue.dfont
#PCmyoungjo.dfont
#Junggothic.dfont
Futura.dfont
Courier New

Root/System/Library/Fonts

Monaco.dfont
??????? Pro W3.otf
Helvetica.dfont
Apple LiSung Light.dfont
LastResort.dfont
Apple LiGothic Medium.dfont
???????? Pro W4.otf
Geneva.dfont
#Pilgiche.dfont
???????? Pro W3.otf
BiauKai.dfont
Seoul.dfont
Keyboard.dfont
Fang Song.dfont
LucidaGrande.dfont
#Gungseouche.dfont
Song.dfont
???????? Std W8.otf
AquaKanaRegular.dfont
AppleGothic.dfont
Courier.dfont
Osaka.dfont
OsakaMono.dfont
Times.dfont
???????? Pro W6.otf
??????? Pro W6.otf
ZapfDingbats.dfont
Symbol.dfont
AquaKanaBold.dfont
AppleMyungjo.dfont
Kai.dfont
Hei.dfont

Root/Users/UserName/Library/Fonts

Arial
Verdana
Copperplate Gothic Bold
Arial Black
Wingdings
Curlz MT
Monotype Sorts
Lucida Handwriting
Times New Roman
Impact
Tahoma
Century Gothic
Copperplate Gothic Light
Edwardian Script ITC
Comic Sans MS

So did anyone figure out how to get the fonts out of the reserve? I want to leave FR and organize my fonts, all 2500, in ABC folders. However Font Reserve moved everything into stupid folders like 'unknown version' and what not. I just want to simply clean it all out.

Oh and the Font Reserve Installer includes an un-install option, but doesn't do anything with the font mess it leaves behind.

I know it's too late now, but what I do is keep a master copy of all my fonts, organized exactly how I like:

Opentype/Styles/Fonts
Postscript/Styles/Fonts
Truetype/Styles/Fonts

This makes it a lot easier to put things back to normal if I switch font managers or have a font corrupted or other oddities. The only catch is being sure to remember to place any new fonts in both my master collection AND my font manager.

Can't wait to dump Font Agent with Panther, though the auto-activation will be missed.

I hope Panthers font manager works well. I don't use auto activation so I wont miss that. However, does Panthers font thing scan for fonts? Maybe it'll grab and organize my fonts for me. I'll have to wait a few more days and see.

Back