How do you switch it off?

kebosma

Registered
I bought an Apple TV today (together with a new macbook hehe :)) but I can't figure out how to turn it off or to put it into standby mode...

I agree with the thread about the heat generated by apple tv, it's becomming somewhat hotter than the ambient temp. This indicates ate least a some power consumption by the device, and I don't want it to dissipate power when I'm not using it....

Anybody?

There is no way to turn it off, but you can put it into Standby mode by holding the Play/Pause button for 6 seconds.

That's a lot of power when it's consumed 24 hours a day/ 356 days a year.

I wonder why Apple didn't put an on/off button on the device....

I feel that also in standby mode, the temperature of the Apple TV is rather high, so that indicates that indeed a lot of power is dissipated...

You _can_ simply pull the plug. Whenever I leave the house for more than a day, I'm doing just that. As long as it is used for more than an hour a day, though (and that's most days, anyway), I leave it on standby.

The standby-mode is kind of a strange thing, really, because it's simply still running. It continues to synch, for example, so it's not like a MacBook put to sleep. Maybe they'll implement some kind of sleep-mode in a future update, but it doesn't look like they originally wanted to do that.

But since the device is not _thought_ to be turned off, it's built to last with a little bit of warmth.

Well, I'm not sure what happens really, either. But since there's no way to shutdown the Mac OS X running on it, it's the only way. There's a key-combo to have it restart, but I'm not sure that reboots it gracefully, I think it basically is a reset-function that would do the same thing: Going down hard.

Hopefully in a future update of the SW a standby mode is included where also the airport and harddrive is shut down, because I think it will be the most expensive electronic device in the house when you calaculate the total amount of consumed energy per year....

Definitely not, kebosma. Your freezer probably uses quite a lot more. washing machines, even though they're not on constantly, use a little bit more as well. Even that 40W low-power lightbulb that you're using a couple of hours a day comes close. Plus: _Any_ device that has a standby-mode still uses power. Less than the Apple TV in most cases, but combined... Either way: If you care about power consumption, you'll turn things off completely, anyway, which for the Apple TV means you'll have to pull the plug, or give it a cable with a real switch.

Don't think so Fryke, if for example the continuous power consumption of the Apple TV is 24 W, it consumes 210 kWh of energy per year.

If my freezer is cooling for 25% a day (because of switching on and off), it will consume almost the same (100W when it's switched on). If it is cooling for 50% a day (which never happens), it's only a factor of 2 higher...

A light bulb of 40W which is switched on a couple of hours a day (say 4-6 hours), will consume 3 - 4 kWh per year, which is not even close to the energy consumption of the Apple TV....

So the Apple TV is really one of the most energy consuming devices in the house if you don't pull the plug...

This is already known with other electronic devices which consume around 20 - 50W continuous (all the time), to be the most energy consuming devices, because of the 100% duty cycle that it is switched on.

? ... 40W used for 6 hours a day ~ 10W/24h; AppleTV in standby doesn't use 24W/24h, rather 13-18W from what I've heard, so the difference definitely can't be 210kWh/y to 3-4kWh/y. Seems off by a wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide margin.

Sorry, it was early this morning when I calculated :):

40W for 6 hours = 87.5 kWh for a whole year.

18W for 24 hours = 157.7 kWh. (I assumed 24W from other responses in this topic)

So the difference is smaller, but stil the Apple TV consumes almost 2 times more energy....

Apple seem to not like their products turned off.
They hide buttons around the back of computers.
iPods are hard to turn off (slightly).
The Apple TV doesn't seem to turn off either.

This is the only thing that annoys me about apple. although. it is nice to sit at a computer and just wiggle the mouse and instantly it is displaying a nice screen and it is also nice not to see a power button :).

Back