How does Licence work for OSX?

Well, right when Tiger came out. I pirated it on my older Powerbook, but then I got a new powerbook, which came with Tiger. So... I guess I was using it as a trial run before I bought it.

As I will prolly do with Leopard. The mac is an amazing machine, to not give Apple the money they deserve is crazy.

I understand giving someone the money they deserve, but as a long time Windows user to Linux user and now to Mac user, I find it kind of ridiculous that Mac is charging for a whole new OS when Leopard isn't a new OS... It's still OSX. It's basically an update. Why do I have to pay over 100 bucks just because I want L2DP support for a bluetooth headset? Why should being able to see animated AIM icons in iChat cost me 100 dollars? How come a new rendering engine is costing me 100 smackers? Compared to Windows, OSX is far more expensive. There is constant support for new hardware even in outdated versions of Windows. All these things I've just mentioned are offered as free updates for any other software OS. (Windows even included their backup program in their OS). I do like OSX and would love to support them, but on a college student's budget it's just not possible to buy Leopard for me. I'll have to wait for someone to write 3rd party drivers for the things that should have been updated via mac updates months ago.

Oh well... If only OSX was a little more like Linux ;)

I understand giving someone the money they deserve, but as a long time Windows user to Linux user and now to Mac user, I find it kind of ridiculous that Mac is charging for a whole new OS when Leopard isn't a new OS... It's still OSX.

Why pay for Vista? It's still Windows....

No one is forcing you to upgrade to Leopard. I personally will probably sit it out as I do not see anything in Leopard that I will upgrade for. Most applications you see today are compatible with 10.3 and up, so for many there was no reason to upgrade to Tiger.

This isn't Linux where you feel compelled to do apt-get distupgrade every week, or install a new 'version' every 6 months. If what you have works for you, stick with it. If the new version contains features that you *must* have, then buy it. Tiger was released in April 2005 while Leopard is slated for Spring 2007. That's practically a 2 year gap and it's not a compulsory upgrade. Most (all?) commercial applications released still support Panther, there is no reason to think they won't still go on supporting Tiger once Leopard is released.

I'm not buying vista. I don't see enough there other than flashy colors to warrent me forking out that much cash. But with my new laptop, it has Bluetooth and the only use for it I have is wireless headphones. This, I know, is mearly a firmware and software update, but Apple is charging for it. I just wonder why when they release Leopard they don't just release those little things as updates for Tiger like they should. As much as I used to think Microsoft expensive they even give away the latest Direct X for free, but everyone who buys Leopard is paying for a new Core rendering engine. I dunno. Guess it's futile to complain here but all I want from my laptop more than it does now is wireless headphones, and that's not worth money on top of the headphones themselves.

DX 10 requires Vista. I think it's quite silly how people have complained that Vista doesn't add anything new and they complain when Vista does add something new (i.e. DX 10) and it won't get back ported to Windows XP.

Anyway, perhaps you could check your headphone manufacturer's websites to see if they have drivers for your headphones. I think it's quite pointless to complain about drivers. Pretty much like complaining that my nVidia Geforce fx5200 doesn't work out of the box with Windows XP but it will on Vista, hence I need to upgrade. If the your hardware manufacturer doesn't release drivers, perhaps you should be complaining to them instead. I know I do when my hardware doesn't work and there aren't proper drivers for them :) (bloody bluetooth phones...).

It's not drivers for the headphones. It's drivers for the bluetooth. Which is Apple's. They run on a bluetooth protocol that is supported by the BT2.0 but Apple for some reason hasn't opened support for it until this next release of Leopard. Oh well.

Back