How? How, how, how, how?!

Trip

Registered
I was just wondering: how do you/those people make such realistic looking graphics? Look at this: Wow! How do people do that? You can't tell me they just spend 1 hour drawing that realitic looking type graphic! HELP!

Have you considered piling up a bunch of papers and taking a digital photo?

You can even print out one page with the contents you want at the top...

Then it's a matter of taking that photo and clipping the part out that you want (monochrome contrasting background is very useful here) and putting it on the "Archive" bit.

Actually (Mr. Smarty Pants) that is NOT digital photo! It was completely designed/drawn out on a Macintosh! :)

Ever thought of Maya, or Cinema 4D, or Bryce to create such realistic looking things? Either did i...until now.

No, never thought of those. But then, I'm a developer, not a graphic artist...

And how are you so sure that this isn't a photo? Is there some additional information that you're hiding? ;)

This is a workflow I use for making an illustration from a photo. Illustrations just look cleaner, and nicer than photos.

Three Photoshop tools - Select, Airbrush (helps if you have a tablet, but not essential) and Gradient.

Take a photo of your subject (or scan a drawing). Select areas and fill them with gradients, put the airbrush on very low and add tints. Base the shades that you use for the airbrush and gradients on colour values from the photo. Then if required, lay out some type and tansform it onto the illustration.

Play around, and look at how highlights and shadows look in the real world, then try to make simplified abstractions of them.

Bernie :eek:)

Well that newspaper pic (as well as all other pics used at SpyMac.com) were created in Cinema 4D. There's an option somewhere in there that allows users to render super realistic graphics. Right now I'm messing around with Maya, and there are a few tricks in there that can do just as well (if not better) with this sort of thing...why I didn't see it before: i just don't know.

:)

I'm guessing that's the radiosity option.

Also, if you look closely, it's 4 stacks of paper duplicated on top of each other. Despite the package they say it was done in, there is a lot of photoshop (or equivilant) in there. They've airbrushed bits.

Berrnie :eek:)

Just had a closer look at some of the other graphics on SpyMac - they're really impessive some of them. I like that apple drawing (for the webmail link).

They've got a really good semi-photorealistic illustration theme going... Might have to borrow the concept ;o)

Bernie :eek:)

Back