How Much RAM do YOU have?!

Now I've got 576 MB in a 500 MHz, and window resizing flies (ok, almost...). Photoshop is also a lot faster.

Will the speed increase of os x when you put extra ram (256mb for example) to a 700mhz iMac G3 with 256MB RAM?

senne.

Yeah, it will certainly help, but honestly you're gonna want to think about upgrading to a G4 in the coming months... a 700 G3 is capable of running OS X, and 512 MB would certainly help it, but you're going to find slowdowns in a lot of places you wouldn't expect. Of course, maybe it's just cuz I'm jaded :p

Anyway, G3s really were designed to run OS 9. They work better in OS 9 than G4s due (at least with the same amounts of RAM) because OS 9 is much better optimized for the backside cache, which is present but not nearly as efficient on the G4. However, X is optimized for the Velocity Engine, and there is a HUGE performance increase.

As long as you're above 500 MHz, I suppose anything will do. Can anyone explain to me why my iceBook/500 with 128 MB of RAM runs OS X so dog-slow? It's truly pathetic. My Blueberry iBook/300 with 192 MB of RAM runs OS X much better, sadly enough. (Which, by the way, is an UNSUPPORTED machine, as the minimum OS X requirement is a 300 MHz processer). However, the two G4 machines in my house, a Sawtooth G4/400 and an LCD iMac G4/800, kick ANY G3 out of the water... even G3s with much higher clock speeds (the G4/400 is MUCH faster than a 700-MHz G3 iMac; more proof of the Megahertz Myth!)

384MB here. One 128+256.

iMac DV+ 450MHz.

When I get my new computer (I'm going for the iMac LCD instead of a PowerMac) I'll probably put 512 in it.

I got my G3 450Mhz B&W maxed out at 1GB of RAM... but it appears there are some problems either with the hardware or OS.... OS9.2 can boot but OS9.04 crashes. OSX (10.1.x) seems to handle it, but with enough apps running will get either get kernal panics or CRASH... yes CRASH. The mouse gets stuck and any sound gets stuck in a skip like a broken record.

I figured it was the last 256 module I put in but this is the third one I got from 1800 4-memory. So I figured I'd make sure that was the problem this time. I took out one of the 256 modules I had in there before I had these Crashes and panics and put the new 256 module in its place. No problems for months at 768 Megs. At one point I loaded OSX with every app I could launch(pretty impressive, front app still very responsive). I later put the old 256 module back in and a couple of days later OSX gave me a kernal panic, followed later by a crash and then mutiple Death beds(Computer can not wake up from sleep, caps lock on keyboard wont even light up when pressed).

I think it might be some type of addressing bus issue with this B&W's when the RAM is maxed out...

Attachments

• snapshot.jpg
    snapshot.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 13
Back