How to execute installed software through terminal?

adi26

Registered
Hello, I am a newbie to mac; just wondering how to execute software through terminal. For example , I just installed adobe reader. And in terminal I want to open my pdf file through adobe, "adobe example.pdf" but command line console does not know what 'adobe' is -- "adobe: command not found". But it does exist in the GUI. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

In the Terminal, use the "open" command followed by the name of the application. You might have to give the path to the directory along with the app name. For example, if you wanted to open Safari from the Terminal, just type the following...

Code:
open /Applications/Safari.app

Is there no way that I can change the native opener for all pdf's from Preview to Adobe? So when I say "open example.pdf" - then terminal would automatically open example.pdf in adobe?

WHY on earth would you want to use Terminal to open a file?

In Adobe Reader, go to preferences and tell your Mac to open all .pdf's in Reader (open all .pdf's by default), if that is what you want. Personally, I find that Preview does a better job.

Additionally, you could "get info" on a .pdf. In the resulting box, assign Adobe Reader to open it and then, toward the bottom, click "Change All"

Why on earth would anyone want to do that? Why not? :D

I can see the command having a use for scripting purposes, so that would explain its reason for existing. Still, I personally like it just as much as I love the "say" command. Just type "say" and then whatever you want the Mac to say. :)

Ex:

Code:
say [B]Hello, I'm a Mac[/B]

Back