How to move a podcast into the normal iTunes music library?

riddle

Registered
[This is an iTunes question, not specifically an iPod question.]

I've been listening to MP3 blogs as podcasts, which is great until I decide I like a song and want to keep it. I can't for the life of me figure out how to tell iTunes to stop treating a particular file as a podcast and start treating it as it would a normal MP3.

No matter what I do, the song fails to show up in LIBRARY > Music and, if I save the file and reimport it, returns to LIBRARY > Podcasts. Not only is that not how I want to manage my music, but I'm worried that the file will get deleted in the normal course of clearing out old podcasts.

Things I've tried:

- changing the genre from "Pocast" to something else in the Get Info dialogue
- cleaning up the ID3 metadata in ID3X
- deleting the podcast from iTunes and reimporting the file
- physically moving the file into the appropriate folder under iTunes Music
- duplicating and renaming the file in Finder and reimporting it
- consolidating my library

I've even inspected the "iTunes Music Library.xml" file for a field I could edit but don't see one that marks podcasts.

Is there no way to move a podcast into my permanent music library?

Thanks.

I can copy podcast files directly to my ipod, so I imagine I should be able to drag and drop to my music playlist as well...

I had this very frustrating problem, managed to resolve it after a number of different things, not sure which one of these finally managed to resolve the problem.

Go into your podcast directory, and convert the ID3 tag = None.
Then disable your podcast directory temporarily via the preferences -> parental control area.

Navigate in explorer to your podcast directory where the files are stored and copy them into new directory, get itunes to scan the directory and you should see the files in your music directory (no album or artist information).

Correct the album and artist information so files move to where you want them to be. Turn on podcast once more.

Real pain and theres got to be a simpler way but it worked for me.

Cheers Charlie

What I have been doing is converting the podcast to AAC (Advance --> Convert Selection to AAC). It would seem you could do something simpler, but this seems the easiest way for me.

Being part of the minority non ipod people, (I know no Ipod and no Mac it shames me), anyway i dont seem to have option to convert to AAC, and i might not want to.
Anyway, after further playing around i have found out that if i set the ID3 flag = None, move the file i want in Explorer ("The Finder" in Mac world), delete the podcast from itunes listing (it shouldnt delete the file as it cant find it), then import the file into itunes.
In either way a simple right click function from the Itunes development team to allow user to move podcasts and other files into other categories would be nice.

Converting to AAC worked great for me but I have one additional problem. What I basically want to do is this. I have all my mp3s on a network share. I have 4 computers in my home that I want to all have the same songs on them but I don't want to have to go around to each comptuer and import the songs every time I put a new one in the share. To do this I created an rss feed of the folder. I subscribe each itunes to the rss feed as a podcast. I can only do the conversion if I have clicked the file is downloaded by clicking the little get icon on each file. Well I have over 1000 mp3s on this feed and itunes automatically 'gets' only the first file. The rest I have to click the get button manually. Is there any way to have Itunes automatically download all the files in the podcast?

i dont know , but copuld you burn to cd then load cd into itunes?????

What I ended up doing was using one computer as the host and having it monitor a particular folder for new music as per This Link and then I shared out the library from that itunes. Now all other itunes within my network can just use the shared folder from that host computer.

Back