[HOW TO] Rename Harddisk!

Matsaki

Registered
Hmm!
I can't rename my harddisk! I want to change the name on my harddisk from "Mac OS X" to "MacOSX" as I think the spaces might cause a problem when I try to install forty-two software. I cant install as I get the message that I have to be admin ti install (I am admin) and it's only forty-two causes this problem.

Anyway! The harddisk is lockes somehow and even when starting from another harddisk I can't change the the in the info window.

Whats going wrong???

Just click the name once, wait a moment, and try to rename it. If that doesn't work, you might have to turn off File Sharing to rename it.

I have file sharing of and I tried changing both with marking the name directly and in the info box. But the name is totally locked. The other harddisk (also internal) is no problem changing the name on :confused:

Do you have an "Administrator" account? If so, do you have proper preveledges set under that section of the Info window?

I also managed to fix the problem with changing the privelages, but what should the original settings be for the volume harddiskt. Now I have totally open all options and dont know if thats a good idea?

Spaces don't really matter. It's only a volume label. UNIX path-name-savvy installers should escape the spaces with one of the techniques available. Classic Mac installers don't care about spaces and will just use Mac OS X: as the initial part of the path.

At any rate, here's how to rename your disk in the Terminal:
diskutil rename / MacOSX

You can also use the command:

disktool -n device vol_name

where device can be something like disk0 and vol_name is the name you want to set.

Back