How to switch windows quickly?

arachn1d

Registered
How do I switch windows quickly like ALT+TAB in windows?

I don't mean command+tab because that only switches applications.

What if I have several firefox windows, how do I switch between them? I don't want to drag my mouse to window>and choose which one I want.

Anyone know if this exists? If not then that's %%^%%^ retarded.

That shortcut is system-wide and configurable. The default varies by country/keyboard layout, apparently. For me, it in command-` (and ` in next to the 1 key on my keyboard).

You can enable/disable this shortcut, and also redefine it to whatever you like, in System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts > Keyboard Navigation

You might also want to use Exposé. Try hitting F10.

yes, F9 triggers exposé all windows, which is then keyboard navigable.

the other way is Command Tab or Command `.

But only if the apps aren't hidden. That's my major gripe with Exposé. I don't like to have all apps' windows cluttering my screen with no chance to see the Desktop. But hidden apps' windows don't show up in Exposé: In my opinion, that is at least a lack of feature - if not a bug.

Cmd-`(or Cmd-< for Swiss German keyboards) of course only switches between windows of the frontmost application. So you'd have to first switch to the app using Cmd-Tab.

But only if the apps aren't hidden. That's my major gripe with Exposé. I don't like to have all apps' windows cluttering my screen with no chance to see the Desktop. But hidden apps' windows don't show up in Exposé: In my opinion, that is at least a lack of feature - if not a bug.

I think the option should be there to display all windows, including hidden ones. However, I like it the way it is, as I have quite a few applications hidden away, and I wouldn't like exposé revealing them when I hit F9

Command + ' = Cycle through multiple windows in the same app

Add the shift key to go backwards with key combo

How do I switch windows quickly like ALT+TAB in windows?

I don't mean command+tab because that only switches applications.

What if I have several firefox windows, how do I switch between them? I don't want to drag my mouse to window>and choose which one I want.

Anyone know if this exists? If not then that's %%^%%^ retarded.

why not just use tabs?

why not just use tabs?

Not every app has tabs.

I remember this was one of my biggest issues when first moved to Mac, switching apps and documents. Especially since on Windows I would always use the taskbar.

Now I use Command-Tab, Command-` and expose alot. Still gets cluttered sometimes though.

Back