[How To]Use mac to record another computer's screen?

DrkTd

Registered
Would it be possible to hook up the 17" powerbook to another computer (a PC running Windows XP) to record the PC's screen?
I've been looking around I can't seem to find anything, help?

I think that can be accomplished in this way:
You set up a VNC server on the PC and connect with from the mac as viewing only.
Then you use a screen recording app to record the vnc client window on the mac and voila! there you have.. if you put the vnc as fullscreen you'll have a nice recording.
of course you'll need to have a fast connection to the PC in order to have VNC refresh what you see properly...

hope it helps

Enable remote login on your Windows computer, and note the ip-adress.

Start Remote Desktop Connection Client on your Mac, and enter the PCs ip-adress, and log in. Now you can record all your actions through Snapz Pro X or similar screeen capture apps.

This is a lot easier, and slightly less insecure, than using VNC.

You can download the Remote Desktop Connection Client from Mactopia:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.aspx

Look at the bottom of the page...

Actually the VNC solution is better, partly because Remote Desktop ONLY works with Windows XP Pro, and Windows Server hosts. XP Home Edition and 98(se) are excluded.

You will need a VNC host for your Windows machine and a VNC client for your Mac. Once it is setup it works great. A nice way to monitor a PC over your network (and over the internet if needed).

VNC is markedly slower than RDC, since it doesn't take any of the graphics production strain off the PC, and sends the full desktop across the network. RDC sends simplified data which is reconstructed on the Mac.

But as Robn says, it requires XP Pro.

Back