[HOWTO] - Find files of same type or creator as another file

jverd

Registered
So, Sherlock's advanced options let you find by, among other things, file type and creator. Great. Just please don't tell me I have to use ResEdit or some similar tool to find that info to get a file's 4 digit type or creator and then enter than into Sherlock.

The Finder's info doesn't seem to show it, and I'm not aware of any way to do it from the command line (please tell me there is--that would be the best!).

So, is there any way I can just tell Sherlock (or some freeware tool) "Find all the files of the same type as this file"?

Thanks,
Jeff

clicking on the file you need the infos in finder with apple-i keys you get the infos of the single files.

do you mean e.g. a list of all the .jpg or -mp3 files? or all .jpg files made with a certain program etc?

What I mean is the 4-byte file type that Mac OS has always used. That doesn't show up in the info. I know how to find all files that have a given extension, but that doesn't help me here, as there's no guaranteed association between file type and extension.

Back