[HOWTO] - Kill the Dock without hacks

Umm...why not just hit CMD+OPT+D keys? Quick and easy way to hide or unhide the dock. Not sure how it works after a restart, but it's nice when you need that extra bit of screen real estate on laptops/small screens.

Even quicker is to set the Dock to "Hide" and just mouse over the space it would normally occupy and it will pop up automatically…

While I like the dock, I found this tip useful. Whether I place it on the left, right or bottom it tends to pop out an annoy me when my pointer strays too close to an edge. By placing it at the top the dock no longer pops out at inconvenient times to distract me. When I want it, control-option D does it.

Thanks for the tip!

Pengu said:
if these people like os9 better than osx, why aren't they using it??
I doubt that was the point of the comment about people liking OS 9 more than OS X. I think what was meant by the statement was that some people like certain things about OS 9, and one thing that some people don't like about OS X is the Dock.

If you like the Dock, then this thread isn't for you (it certainly isn't for me), but many people are asking "why would you want to do this?". My answer to that is, "Who cares why someone would want to do this?" If there is information to be had, it should be posted, even if it only benefits ten people on these boards. Those people will have what they want, and others can ignore the posts.

Back