[HOWTO] - Setup PHP & MySQL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I think I have completely screwed up the installation of MySQL. I used the OSX binary package from the mysql.com website and followed their rather lengthly and to me complicated instructions which sent me from one page to another and eventually completely losing track of where I was in the installation process. I am now basically getting errors left, right and center!

I don't understand why they can't have a page that says, installing on Mac OSX in simple terms! Half of those pages bang on about installing on Mac OSX Server.

Anyahoo, I think I am in need of a complete reinstallation of mysql. What is the safest and easiers way of doing this? I am running OSX version 10.3.4.

Thanks

Does anyone know the answer to this?

I think there is a conspiracy going on........are people not allowed to uninstall MySQL? I have looked over the internet all day trying to find an answer but there is none! I have posted this message on forums all over the place and no replies what so ever....I thought someone would know....

You seem desperate, so any advice may be helpful. I "accidentally" trashed my original install of mysql trying to get it going. I had installed the entropy version.

I had just erased everything in the directories that mysql was sitting in using a sudo rm command (usr/bin/local/mysql IIRC).

I installed the serverlogistics version. I think it was installed in a different place, but fixed/created all the links, aliases, symbolic whatevers and whatnot to make it work correctly. I also installed their PHP, but not Apache, since it's 2.x. I also installed CocoaMySQL.

Everything works like a charm and I haven' t had any trouble at all since then. I use it daily and haven't needed to go to terminal for anything related to mysql.

Installed on an iBook 800

Thanks. I ended up using the script from entropy.ch to remove MySQL. I then followed his installation instructions and installed his PHP module as well. Working great.

I took your advice with CocoaMySQL, great piece of freeware! Thanks for that ;)

I use fink to install mysql.
fink is very usefull for that type of things. If i want to install mysql i just need to open terminal then
user%fink install mysql

if i want to remove it i just
user%fink remove mysql

downloaded from
http://fink.sourceforge.net

I am looking at getting started with MySQL. I note there are some i.d.'s when I get info on my files that have an identity "mysql" which leads me to believe that it's already installed but when I search under /usr/local/ I don't see mysql listed. Is it necessary to install MySQL under Panther?

thanks!
Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back