[HOWTO] - Share one OSX account with XP

chevy

Marvelous Da Vinci
Staff member
Mod
I had data on my iMac running OS-X that I want to transfer to an XP machine, both are on the same Ethernet network.

Let's say the account on the iMac is A and the account on the PC is B

1) create one account (C) on the Mac, with the same name and password as the account on the XP machine
2) transfer the data from the original Mac account (A) to the new Mac account (C) through the shared Mac directory
3) from the XP machine (B), go to My Network Places, account (C) will appear.
4) now you can transfer the data.

I don't know... I didn't find a solution with the original account (I must say that as one of the device is portable, I have the firewall on on both machines)

One problem with transferring a directory of files from OS X to XP is that all the .filename and ._ stuff goes with it and confuses XP (you can't delete them there). The solution I favor is Wormhole -> http://www.crystalfiresw.com/products/wormhole.html, an application that runs on both X and XP. You drop a file into one end and it appears at the other. In the preferences in XP you filter out all the extraneous stuff. Works a treat.

However, 30 USD for copying files between two computers seems quite a bit too much. I dunno. I'm using FTP, Hotline or anything else that's free or even included to transfer files. However, that's not what the thread is about, I guess. It's about account sharing, which can't be done by simple file transfer tools.

I love wormhole, but 30 bucks was a little much. That's why I got my dad to pay for it. ;) It's a great app, so simple anyone can use it, and it works a bit faster than most network copying.

No, but they just came out with a new version that lets you queue up files, go somewhere else, and start the transfer from the recieving end. That should make things a lot easier than when you had to have both open at once.

I didn't know about the update - Glad to hear about it. Not so cool is that their are three docs with the OS X version that are locked - now there's a PITA. First you gotta blow away the old ones, then copy the new, insead of just dragging the new over the old.

It seems to me that it would be in Apple's interest in supplying a better solution to this sort of thing - I mean it is Apple that has to go the extra mile here to fit in with the Windows world. I know many people with home networks of Macs and PCs and trying to explain to my mom how to download a free ftp client then use it to transfer files between her machines is a real head ache! :)

Couldn't you just turn on windows file sharing on the mac? Connect to the Mac from the PC, type in your username and password for the account on the Mac, and copy over what you need.

scruffy said:
Couldn't you just turn on windows file sharing on the mac? Connect to the Mac from the PC, type in your username and password for the account on the Mac, and copy over what you need.

You have to set up network on the PC side. Once you do that, the PC will be able to the Mac and you can log onto each in both directions..

baggss said:
You have to set up network on the PC side. Once you do that, the PC will be able to the Mac and you can log onto each in both directions..

But doesn't it only share the documents folder? How do you make it share the whole harddrive?

bobw said:
You can use SharePoints to share anything;

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/12512

You can also do it in Terminal.

So share points will allow the PC to see ANYTHING on the Mac and vice-versa? Right now when I log into the PC from my Mac, I can access the shared default folder (shareddocuments) or another shared folder on the C drive as long as I set that folder up to me shared. When I log into the Mac from the PC, I can access my whole home folder, including my desktop.

Yes, SharePoints can share anything on your machine with a PC. Only works from the Mac side.
I have my PC (XP) set to share the entire drive on the Mac just through the sharing on the PC without additional software.

I cannot get windows file sharing to turn on in OS 10.2.6 - AARRGGHH! Please Help!!!

scruffy said:

Why not simply enable sharing on the PC to a specific folder (such as My Documents), the use connect to server on the Mac, type smb://thePC's IP, select the right folder, type your user name and apss for the PC and click Ok... Then just dump all the Mac files... ok it does keep the dotted files but its simple and straight... can be done from any account on the Mac to any account on the PC side....

Back