I have made the switch!!

theswifts

Registered
And I severly need help!

I am mostly comfortable with Windows XP, and I now have a G3 Mac with OS X on it, and I need some help like woah...

I haven't quiet yet figured out how to delete the applications that I put onto my computer here. I read that all you have to do is drag it to the trash bin, and it takes care of it for you... is that true!? THATS ALL YOU HAVE TO DO!?!?!? Being a Windows-head, I am trained to think that you have to find the source of the file and take care of it there.. lol.

And as far as a p2p software thats really good for a Mac... what should I use? I have eDonkey 2000 on here now and I dont really like it, because I cant really get any FILES!! What do you guys use?

Another issue here is this.. I have my modem for my DSL set up like a router, and it is going thru a Netgear DS104 Hub, one to my laptop, being my Windows Machine, ane the other to the Mac... I THINK this is the problem I am having with eDonkey not connecting alot of the times.. what port should I use for downloading?

One last thing.... I think.. for now...

I am aware that you can port WinXP onto your Mac Machines using OSx, and I was wondering how you do that? I would like to be able to run them both simultaniously, and am curious if I do that, will I be able to access the files that I download onto the XP part with my mac, say downloading a song, and then porting over to Mac and burning a cd with my Roxio Toast and Jam...?

Any takers?

I am aware that you can port WinXP onto your Mac Machines using OSx, and I was wondering how you do that? I would like to be able to run them both simultaniously, and am curious if I do that, will I be able to access the files that I download onto the XP part with my mac, say downloading a song, and then porting over to Mac and burning a cd with my Roxio Toast and Jam...?

Ok, I'm only going for one now :)
I also recently switched over to OSx from Windows/Linux. Man, what a difference. I used to hate all the freaking Mac jokers that were overconfident about how their stupid computer ran, well, guess what.........It runs that good.

So, Windows on OSX. I use a program called Parallels (http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/). The biggest thing I use it for is MS Streets and Trips & Chief Architect. The latter is a program I use to build houses. MS Streets has a USB GPS device and it works fine as does the USB key for Chief.
Also, Windows runs flawlessly, although to be honest most of what I do does not require a lot of ram and, on top of that I have 2gigs of RAM in my laptop. I first started with 512MB RAM and I just wanted to die; but I think 1gig should do for most application.
Transferring files is a breeze, getting on the network anything you want to do should work. :)

I haven't quiet yet figured out how to delete the applications that I put onto my computer here. I read that all you have to do is drag it to the trash bin, and it takes care of it for you... is that true!? THATS ALL YOU HAVE TO DO!?!?!? Being a Windows-head, I am trained to think that you have to find the source of the file and take care of it there.. lol.

Short Answer: Yes, That's it.
Slightly Longer Answer: No... there are probably going to be a couple "preference" files hanging around in your "Preference" folder in your "library" that's in your user folder. The reality is, they are usually extremely tiny (4k) and it makes no difference if you delete them or not, they're so small.

And as far as a p2p software thats really good for a Mac... what should I use? I have eDonkey 2000 on here now and I dont really like it, because I cant really get any FILES!! What do you guys use?

Talk about peer to peer transfer programs is not allowed. It's in all the stuff you should have read when joining this board. I think the owners of the board don't want to be even the slightest bit liable for ANYthing.

Woah there, tiger, calm down. First of all... you have a Motorola/IBM Power PC G3 chip under the hood of your Mac.... if you want to run windows, you'll have to do it with a special program that EMULATES an Intel-compatible chip. Virtual PC is your best bet. However, it runs windows SO HORRIBLY SLOW, it's not useful for much. Just that occasional e-card or something that's an .exe file.

How can you run Windows at regular speed on a Mac? By buying on of the NEW Intel-based Macs. They run both a new version of Mac OS X that's Intel compatible, as well as windows... So... don't dump your PC just yet, if you're just going to stick with the G3 for now. Get to know Mac OS X, and, if you like it now, just image how good it is on one of them fancy new fast Intel-Macs. Or visit and Apple store.

Enjoy!

Back