I have switched...

AlQuemist

Registered
to th pc...

I have always loved the mac. Even when I didn't have money, I used to buy macs. But I can't afford it anymore.

I still love macs, and I trully enjoy them. But I don't like what apple is becoming. I don't like the ".mac" not free anymore, althought we were told it was free for life. I didn't like loosing all my scsi devices. MacOS X (10.0) was simply unuseable, but I switched to it the first day it came out. 10.2 is what 10.0 should have been, but it's plenty of bugs and clearly inmature. And guess what, my less than a year old G4 runs slow on it, and can't take advantage of QE. And it's very expensive for an os which is not finished (we are all waiting for the 10.2.1 upgrade).

My Pismo, which was "the digital studio on the road", can't do anything but word processing on MacOS 10.2.

I have bought a pc. I have choosen a case I like, I can upgrade it anytime I want for a reasonnable amount of money. All my devices are back to life. I don't really enjoy Windows XP, but I have speed on all my apps, I have better database connectivity, my own smtp server and dynamic content web server...

Of course, I'm keeping the mac. But it's now my leisure computer. Having a good pc to work is now a relief to me; I can handle the peecee problems and blue screens and so... I have had them and always managed to get back to work in a couple of hours.

I have choosen, because I have felt that Apple was letting me behind. With the pc platform, I can choose.

And that's about it. I will miss the mac, but I'll have a lot of more free time. Mac users (and I was part of them) used to say they were way much productive on their mac; well, for a large portion of them, it hasen't been true for a long time...

good job, glad to see someone with a level unbiased head on their shoulders around here (relatively ;))

Back