I just reformatted my entire hard drive

pixmaniowa

Registered
In trying to install Windows XP using Boot Camp i went through the process of upgading my fimware (Both updates) and installing Boot Camp. I partitioned 22 gigs for the Windows partition. When I went to install XP It showed only a C partition with 131000 Mb (approx) size that needed to be formatted. I quit the process and went back to Boot Camp. It would not let me partition again as far as I could tell.
Now My Big Mistake!
I made the assumption that it gave you a false size reading something like VPC.
I went back and reformatted.
Installation ran...
When it restarted it said that there was no bootable drive.
I restarted holding the option key.
It showed only a windows operating system.
When I had reformatted, I reformatted the entire drive. Since there was no longer any Boot Camp or OS X installed the computer could not run the Windows XP.
I have now re-installed OS X, migrated all my files back again, and updated back to 10.4.7.
I wanted to let everyone know what happened and ask for advice on what I did wrong (besides making the assumption!) that did not partition the drive properly.

pixmaniowa
iMac intel core duo
2Ghz 1Gb RAM

I couldn't tell. When I did it on my MacBook, everything went _exactly_ as described in Apple's PDF manual. So I saw _two_ volumes there and had to choose the right one - as described. If you try again, make sure that you try to follow the manual. I guess that's all I can say... Sowwy... :/

Back