iBook 12" vs 14" for photo processing

faizal

Registered
Hi,

In less than 24 hrs i'm going to get my very first apple :D, an iBook G4 to be precise. Primary usage is photo post processing with PS CS and my wife's word processing. I'm going to add another 512MB in addition to 256MB RAM.

The problem is, does the 12" iBook would make any diff than the 14" during post processing?

Any thoughts appreciated.

TIA

faizal said:
Hi,

In less than 24 hrs i'm going to get my very first apple :D, an iBook G4 to be precise. Primary usage is photo post processing with PS CS and my wife's word processing. I'm going to add another 512MB in addition to 256MB RAM.

The problem is, does the 12" iBook would make any diff than the 14" during post processing?

Any thoughts appreciated.

TIA
Screen size may be an issue if the pics are large.

I'd get a 12" PB + Cinema display. (or a G5 iMac if you don't need to move it around a lot)

Kap

No, there is no practical difference. The resolution of the 12" and 14" screens are the same. If you think the resolution might be a problem, you should get a desktop with a large screen (I'm thinking 20" and above).

Ceroc Addict said:
Screen size may be an issue if the pics are large.

I'd get a 12" PB + Cinema display. (or a G5 iMac if you don't need to move it around a lot)

Kap

yeah but there is a huge price difference. for some of us that is a consideration.

I have the 12 inch ibook (g3/500) and the screen is fine. my dad has the 14 incher and when i use that one the screen is easier to read even though it is the same res. things are just a bit bigger. i like the physical size of the 12 but the screen is nice on the 14, there is a definate trade of on which you would rather have. one other minor thing i noticed between using the 12 and 14 is that when i am sitting in a chair and the computer is actually on my lap, the 14 is nicer because it goes another inch or so onto each leg so i dont have to hold my legs as close together to use it.

</$.02>

thanks guys for your inputs...well i have decided to get the 1GHz 14" iBook. the extra inches wouldn't hurt me i hope ;-)

thanks again guys!! Dont think i can sleep tight tonite! LOL

Given a choice, I would take the 14" model, and not just for the larger screen, which would be very nice, but I would go for the top of the line model with the faster processor and most importantly the 60 GB hard drive. Admittedly, $400 extra is a big bite, but the value is there. Don't forget to add at least another $100 to $120 to the price of whichever model you choose for additional RAM. You will definitely need it for graphics work. Graphics work takes lots of RAM as well as lots of HD space.

Back