iBook display problems

Gnomo

Registered
Hey all,

I have been experiencing some problems with my iBook. Occasionally when I wake the computer my screen will not come up to the correct brightness level. It looks like the screen does if you turn the brightness all the way down. Trying to adjust the brightness level has no effect on the system.

The only thing that seems to work is putting the computer back to sleep and waking it back up (rebooting would probably also work, but I try to avoid that at all costs) but even that sometimes takes a few trys. Once, after this happened, when I moved the mouse it went back into this state and I had to start the process all over again.

So I was wondering if anyone had a guess as to what might be wrong with it? The machine is still covered by Applecare, but it is a long drive out to the nearest Apple Store and there isn't a closer repair center, and knowing my luck once I got the computer out there, it would work correctly for the Mac Genius.

Thanks in advance,

Here are the machine's specs:
iBook 500 MHz G3, 640 MB RAM, OS X 10.3.2

There have been reports of similar sounding situations with some iBooks. One of the "workarounds" has been to press one corner of the screen. Others have reported pinched screen connector cables and some even bad logic boards. In any case, since you have Applecare, I would run - not walk - to my nearest Apple Certified Repair Center and get the problem taken care of before it becomes really serious.

Back