iBook G3 vs. G4 Tower ???

The iBook will be faster than your g4. I own a 700mhz iBook and the performance is fantastic with OSX. I was expecting it to be slow, but it is not. Actually it seems to outperform some g4 800 imacs when testing with speedx. Check out the speedx performance thread :) I'm sure you won't be dissapointed with it's speed.

Thanks for the replies.

I would really rather have a G4, but they are about $600 more. All I'm using it for is inernet/email and some word processing, so I really don't need a lot of speed. If it's noticeably faster than my G4 350 MHz, I'll be happy.

Yuppers... the iBook feels much faster in non-Altivec tasks... but for basic visual editing (Photoshop) tasks for the web (low res), the iBook is definitely fast enough. Feed the baby with RAM though... she will love you for it.

Go for the iBook if mobility is a must.

Go with the ibook and add a 512 stick of RAM --- I am running the 500 mhz model with 640 megs and a 40 gig travel star 5400 rpm 8 megs cache HD and I love it !! Runs awesome with no issues .. I use allot of picture/photo utilities and simple editing, you'll never know the difference.

Plastic :)

yeah, get a 512mb module if you can, osx is a memory hog and even with 512 i still get pageouts occasionally, heh. OSX eats memory like the fat kid in elementary school that everyone picked on. :p

Originally posted by Total Konfuzion
Plastic :)

yeah, get a 512mb module if you can, osx is a memory hog and even with 512 i still get pageouts occasionally, heh. OSX eats memory like the fat kid in elementary school that everyone picked on. :p

:D Anyone taken out the bottom piece of RAM before?

I was really excited today when I saw the "double your memory for $40" special on the apple site. But unfortunately this offer doesn't pertain to the 14.1" ibook (they do offer a 512 Mb module for something like $350 more though). With the 700 MHz/14.1" ibook, they kind of screw you by putting in two 128 Mb modules to give you 256 Mb total memory.

I do plan to upgrade the memory, but I'm wondering what type will work? I'm no expert here, but the apple site says "SDRAM SO-DIMM 144 pin". If I buy 3rd party memory to these specs it will work OK, right?

Originally posted by plastic
:D Anyone taken out the bottom piece of RAM before?

Isn't it soldered on the mobo?
If it isn't, I should've replaced it when I replaced the HD in my father's iBook...

Back