iBook G3 vs G4

yes it is mainly about the $$ and it's hard to tell a pc person to get an iBook over a PC laptop when a PC laptop is like $400 less. :rolleyes:

twister said:
yes it is mainly about the $$ and it's hard to tell a pc person to get an iBook over a PC laptop when a PC laptop is like $400 less. :rolleyes:
I doubt pc laptops are that much cheaper if at all. One prob is that ppl do not normalize the comparison between macs and pcs. Pick the cheapest iBook and show me a pc laptop with such devices at a lower price.

Finally, a topic that I have authority to speak on!
I have a G3 iBook 800mhz with 384mb RAM that I use for extraneous tasks at work- internet, mail, some file handling, color-management apps, and(gasp!) some file manipulation via Photoshop.
At my suggestion, a few months ago, we purchased a G4 iBook 800mhz for the same purpose, but I had the sense to put 640mb RAM in it.
Both run Panther (10.3.3), and though I love my little iBook G3, the G4 has many advantages:
-the G4 is seemingly much more stable in Panther, especially with multiple apps running...but that may be the extra RAM talking.
-though the G3 aesthetically has cleaner metallic lines, the G4's keyboard is easier on your fingers and causes fewer typos. It makes it feel less like a toy than the G3.
-the G4 has longer battery life and a faster recharge rate.
-the G4 has a metal exterior to the headphone jack. My G3's similar plastic jack was shattered months ago, after my warranty was up.
-the G4 slot-loading cd/DVD drive makes me much more comfortable when I'm switching discs on the go in a car or on a plane.

And as a total aside, in 14 months with my G3, I've had to repair the logic board, 2 power supplies(died, not lost), and the cd tray. Nowadays, it doesn't like to be powered down unless you ask it very nicely... :confused:

Just have to say, I love my G3 iBook, however, I would definitely recommend the G4 iBook. Perhaps a refurb model from Apple, since they take advantage of the Altivec platform.

I have an iBook G3 900 (384MB ram). It's going to be a year old sometime this month. I can see myself holding on to this iBook for at least another year. It handles my tasks well: web surfing, music-listening, audio cropping, mail stuff, instant messaging, word processing, website building (I don't use Photoshop or WYSIWYG editors, though). I'm the sort of person who's willing to shell out extra bucks to get a computer than won't slow me down, and my iBook doesn't. My iBook is a keeper, unless the next version of the iBook/12"PB (which I expect is to be released soon) is tempting enough.

Thanks to all who have answered and i'll gladly take more thoughts. Hopefully apple will update the iBook/PowerBook lines soon and then I may find a great deal.

While I LOVE my G4 iBook, I must say the G3s are venerable. I broke out my G3 clamshell (Graphite SE, 366 mhz, 384 ram, 10.3.3) for a few days of usage (updating its software, doing a few backups, setting up mail and bookmarks for my S/O so she can surf/check mail without me giving up my IceBook, etc) and it still runs great.
I also had a G3 iBook (600 mhz) that I had before my G4 and I still prefer the graphite. The keyboard still has good response, almost as solid as my external Apple keyboard, the battery works fine, no dead pixels and it's peppy enough for basic computer usage.
In fact, the lack of firewire is its main drawback for me. I always think about selling it off, but it is such a damn good machine, that I hate the thought of just giving it up for a paltry price.

ok - getting a tad bit worried here, after all that fuzz about the logic board-thing.

my iBook, g3, 800, actually shows me ALOT of horizontal lines and distortion when i wake it, or even adjust screen angel. sometimes it goes black, and i have to adjust it a bit more to get the picture back going. to me it seemes just like its a bad connection on the cabel transmitting visuals. could this then be the logic board quitting out on me...?

i kinda hope it is, since my warranty went out last december, and i dont hold an ACPP..

mainquestion;
i've read up on the official apple report on the subject - http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/ - and noticed that this only goes for a a limited series of ibooks, with serial number blahblahblah - where can i find the serial on my mac?

i also guess my ibook may be in question, since tha FAQ states that theese are issues on ibooks made between april 2002 and may 2003 - i bought it in december '02, meaning it could well have been maufactered within the specified time-period..

alex.

alexandr said:
where can i find the serial on my mac?

Hey Alex,
click on the Apple icon on the left-top corner and pick: About This Mac. Now click on the button More Info..
You will find a field saying: Serial Number:

Good luck

well... i did as you told me, but in the field of customer serial no it just goes " - ", and no number..

is this the right field anyway? system profile -> hardware overview -> customer serial.. ??
cant seem to find any serial any other place in the system profiler..

alex.

There are two sources of the horizontal lines, one in the logic board, the other is the video harness. Yours sound to me like the latter, because it happens when you adjust the screen. When I had the logic board failure, I got kernel panics.... :(

The harness does not sound like it is covered in the extended warrantee, though it is one of the possible sources of the logic board failure.

A new harness costs in the neighborhood of 100 clams and a certified repair can set you back nearly 200. I had found a how to on the diy replacement of the harness, but don't know where it is now. If I find it, I'll update.

Back