ibook G4 won't boot past blue screen after running fsck several times

snuffybutton

Registered
Hello...
Can anyone help me?
My ibookG4 won't boot past the blue screen. I have run fsck several times in single user because it won't boot in safe mode. Every time it comes back **** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED **** and never that the volume is ok. This blue screen problem occurred after trying to hook up a wireless router and changing settings in airport. If anyone knows how I can fix this, I am freaking out!!!

Thank you!!

If running disk utility required me to use the install disk, I have two problems. My install disk is missing, and there is already a disk in my diskdrive that will not eject....

Ah, if you are the same guy who asked about getting out your disk, I left a reply on trouble-shooting that. I think others suggested ways of replacing your install disk.

If not, the thread is really recent.

--J.D.

snuffybutton,

Welcome to MacOSX.com! You're going to have to get that disc out. Try turning your machine on with the mouse or trackpad button held down. If that doesn't work, there is a somewhat technical way to try to force eject it through Open Firmware (if I remember correctly). You should be able to search this site for "stuck cd" or "eject cd" or something like that. There's a search box at the top of the page.

As for your booting problem, it sounds like fsck is not able to fix the problem(s) on your hard drive. That's bad news. The next step would be to use a more powerful disk utility. Unfortunately, they're a bit pricy. I recommend DiskWarrior or TechTool Pro 5. I own DiskWarrior myself. Likely, your hard disk has "soft" errors, meaning errors in the magnetic format. it is possible, though, that the problem is caused by faulty hardware. In that case, DiskWarrior or Techtool may be able to salvage some data. There's also drive salvage software, such as Drive Salvage by SubRosaSoft.

Good luck!

Bot

P.S. To DoctorX, I think Disk First Aid from the Install disc simply calls fsck.

P.S. To DoctorX, I think Disk First Aid from the Install disc simply calls fsck.

I did not know that!

Though a bit pricey, it is worth getting DW or TT for those few situations when things have failed.

Of course . . . if you back up your data . . .

*Flees flying bricks*

--J.D.

Back