iBook question

TheUnknown

Registered
I'm getting the $1,000 iBook on the Apple Store. Here's the specs.

800MHz PowerPC G3
512K L2 cache @800MHz
128MB SDRAM memory
30GB Ultra ATA drive
ATI Mobility Radeon 7500
32MB DDR video memory
CD-ROM
Built-in 56K v.92 modem
AirPort ready
Up to 5 hr. battery life

So, what I wanted to know about this iBook is that if it's good for basic internet uses like AIM/iChat/AOL and surfing the web. I know you're gonna tell me to take a look at the iBook section in Hardware at Apple.com but I just wanted to hear the iBook users' opinions.

Max ram and you'll be fine. I have a 600 IceBook and have no problems using apps like Quark, InDesign, Photoshop, iChat and even FCP. I have used Virtual PC on it, though rarely. You shouldn't have any problems with the needs you described.

It is good for that. If you can burn the cds somewhere else, it's fine, otherwise combo sounds better. Update RAM to 640 (or at least add 256 mbmore) as soon as you can, and the X will run a lot faster. :)

iBooks are great for that. Yes, as people said max out your ram, otherwise the iBook will feel sluggish and unresponsive. Airport, if you've never used it, is amazing the first time out. If you can shell out the cash, get an airport card and a linksys 11b bridge. Then you can walk anywhere around your house with the iBook and still be on the internet. The only real problem with that is if you leave the airport on all the time, it'll drain the battery faster (from 5 hours to 3). But IMO, it's worth it.

EDIT: Almost forgot, GET APPLECARE! If you have to choose between apple care, ram, and airport, get applecare. You'll thank yourself you did. iBooks are fantasticly reliable machines, but the battery and the powercords aren't.

And: Get the RAM somewhere ELSE! Apple is charging too much for RAM. Just buy the iBook as is and upgrade the RAM yourself. It's quite simply to do it.

Alright, I'll consider the RAM upgrade. But I don't want AirPort, I'm just gonna sit back on my couch and fool around on the iBook, there's a phone jack right next to my couch so that shouldn't be a problem. Anything fun I should add with my iBook?;)

Edit: Is the battery rechargeable? I hope so.

Wait untill Tueday or Wednesday.
Then order what you feel most comfortable with. I am sure you will not regret your choise. :)

Later consider, the AirPort. It's well worth it. And more and more places such as restaurants and libraries are offering wireless service as well. So even if you don't use it at home, it's great when going out to do work.
But honestly, once you've surfed wirelessly, it's tough to go back. I'm stuck with PowerBooks/iBooks cuz I love the mobility.

You might consider a USB light to plug into one of your USB ports. This will help you see the keyboard in poor illumination, especially if you run something that makes the screen darker than usual (like games or websites with black backgrounds).

Back