iBook will not boot

cheshireccat

Registered
Alright, so everything was fine with my ibook G4. Then yesterday I tried to install an update to safari. Then safari decided to stop working. So I ran the software update program and it tried updating quicktime, safari, and a security update from January 09. I noticed before it rebooted that the safari and security updates failed. Once it shut down, I waited as it booted up, but nothing is happening. It wil start to boot and go to the grey apple with the thinking wheel turning. It just stays at this point forever, and it continues to turn. I tried tuning it off and booting it in safe mode. I held down the shift button from when the start up sound was heard until I saw the apple. I also tried waiting until the wheel came up. I am using OS X Tiger 10.4. I have to get this running ASAP. I do not have a mini screw driver, so II cannot get under the keyboard to check the serial number.

Please help me get the computer back up and running!!!! Safe mode or normal mode, t doesn't matter as long as I can fix this. I lost my recovery disk years ago if I ever had it.

HELP!!!

EDIT: I was thinking, I think I can get a hold of a copy of leopard and do an upgrade, but I'm not sure how much RAM this has and don't want to lose an of the files and from what I have heard there might be issues with upgrading versus a clean install. I cannot lose my files though. That is very important. I don't want to have to buy a copy of an old operating system. seems silly. Please Help!!

Last edited:
I'm quite sure they do, but I got mine from a family member and he lost the disk long ago. If I use the recovery disk, will it fix the OS without damaging my files? My files are the most important thing here. I can always get another OS disk.

Please folks, any ideas would be great!

I haven't used the recovery disk yet, but i am pretty sure that it only repairs system files.

it's definately worth a try, you can always cancel should it say anything about reformatting but im 80% sure it only replaces system files.

Back