iChat, AIM and Norton

easterhay

little green rosetta
Sorry to flog a very dead horse. I have searched the forums for an answer but couldn't find anything specific. Apologies if I've missed it.
I was very successfully using iChat AV to video chat with my Windozer mum who runs XP. I'm on osx 10.3.9. I thought I was one of only three people in the world not plagued by cross-platform glitches.
And then she installs Norton Internet Security 2006 and the bubble bursts. We can't link up through AIM/iChat anymore. She can video conference through Skype with other Windozers, so if it's a Norton problem, it's specific to AIM.
I don't know if this is a Windows/Norton problem or a Mac one, but wanted to see if it rang any bells.
All offers welcome. Thanks,
easterhay

Just to draw a line under this sorry excuse for a thread....
My mam uninstalled Norton, screwed it up, threw it in the bin, set fire to the bin and destroyed the cinders in a bath of acid.
Sadly she did not go so far as to buy a Mac. But she did instal McAfee and we are now using iChat-AIM successfully again.
Any lessons here, I wonder? Thanks again, bobw,
easterhay

I am new here, just came across this thread in a google search. I am having the same problem desribed above- I use AIM on windows XP, my boyfriend uses IChat. We had no problem using video chat until I installed Norton Internet Security and Antivirus 2006 the other day. Does the link above (the anti-spam link) solve this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

You know, if this Norton software comes with a firewall it could be that the Norton firewall is blocking the ports that allow communication between iChat and AIM (5190 is the port for AOL Instant Messenger). There should be an option to allow that port through and you should be back in business.

I read the contents of the linked page and it didn't seem to quite match the problems we were experiencing. My mum had a look too and tried to apply the info to her Norton settings, but she's not the most technologically accomplished user, so a bit like asking a kipper to ride a bicycle...maybe you and your fella have more luck with it. It's worth a try.
Also - are either of you using Limewire (p2p)? If so, try shutting it down before commencing your call. I have had issues since we binned mum's Norton, in that she appears not to respond to an invitation to video chat even when she's sitting right next to the machine waiting for my invite. Switch off Limewire my end and hey presto, we chat.
Sorry not to be able to help more. My humble opinion is that the PC user should uninstall Norton in favour of something less ...umm... crap /hopeless / irritating?
Good luck!

True - I found other advice about ports set up, but couldn't do much about it due to the whole kipper/bicycle problem, and the fact that my mum's PC is on a different continent to me.
jcl26, you could try here: http://www.mvldesign.com/video_conference_tutorial.html
Or here: http://www.aptr36.dsl.pipex.com/page12.html
Never inserted a link in a post before. Hope they work.
The second one has a particularly appropriate heading for you! Sorry if you've tried these already. Again, good luck

Back