iChat AV - no Audio in on G4

Mac Tweaker

Registered
Hi!

I dl the beta and installed it.

We can successfully talk between to Powerbooks, works fine.

But if I connect a regular Mic (like the one you sing your Karaoke on) to the back of my G4 Dual 1ghz Mirror Mac and double check under preferences/sound I can see that there is plenty audioinput. Also I can record my voice clearly in Logic Audio.

But in iChat it doesn't work! I can hear my partner but he can't hear me, an the mic icon in iChat is crossed and no level on the display.

What am I doing wrong? Or how do you guys talk audio in iCHat with the Tower Macs!? Do I need a USB mic? :(

PS
I am on a home airport network.

You might have to check that your iChat settings are correct. While in iChat, go to the "iChat" menu and choose "Preferences." Then click the "video" icon. make sure your sound input is set correctly, there.

What kind of connector do you have on your microphone? If your G4 is like mine(I don't know if you have a newer one, or if the newer ones are different), but mine has a different type of jack for audio in. The jack requires a longer plug than any normal audio in jack.
Don't ask me why Apple did this, but it makes it incompatible with any basic headset you would get for a PC.

I had to buy one that had a longer plug to work with my G4.

This could be the problem, but I don't know if you have an older G4 like me(400MHz) or if the newer ones keep this stupid audio jack or if they changed it to use a regular jack(I hope so).

Originally posted by Captain Code
What kind of connector do you have on your microphone?
Yeah, but Mac Tweaker is able to record to Logic Audio, so it looks like the hardware's OK.

Thanks Guys, for the replies!

It was my fault, and then I checked, as suggested, my settings, and yes I had to turn on the Audio under Settings.
Sorry for this User-Stupidity ;-) but It was advertised as "No need to configure, ready to go!" so that's what I was going after, so when it didn't work I was confused!

Thanks for your help anyway! :)

What kind of connector do you have on your microphone? If your G4 is like mine(I don't know if you have a newer one, or if the newer ones are different), but mine has a different type of jack for audio in. The jack requires a longer plug than any normal audio in jack.
Don't ask me why Apple did this, but it makes it incompatible with any basic headset you would get for a PC.

I had to buy one that had a longer plug to work with my G4.

This could be the problem, but I don't know if you have an older G4 like me(400MHz) or if the newer ones keep this stupid audio jack or if they changed it to use a regular jack(I hope so).

Unless you've got one of those first-generation G4s, which I'm not sure about, a regular jack should work. But the early G4s' sound input is designed to also work with Apple Plaintalk mics, that carry both audio and power. Both Plaintalk jack and a regular one should work :)

I have a sawtooth G4. I got a regular headset and the sound out would work but the sound in wouldn't. I got one that was made to work with my computer from a local Apple dealer and it works.

All that's different is the length of the audio in plug.

I have a sawtooth G4. I got a regular headset and the sound out would work but the sound in wouldn't. I got one that was made to work with my computer from a local Apple dealer and it works.

Apple mics have a built in amp inside the mic itself, that's why a normal plug won't work because regular mics don't have amps built in. I would guess that if you had another brand mic with built in amps it should work, although I've never tried it.

kafene.

No, the Plaintalk jack has two extra areas for providing power to Apple condenser mics, as kafene says. Regular mics need a preamp to work on the mic input on a Mac. A CD player, etc with line level output will work fine, even with a regular jack.

Back