iDVD Creates DVD without Sound on DVD Players

Doctor X

Registered
I tried searching HERE and on a few places. I received a lot of information that does not answer the problem. First, my Mac specifics:

Macbook 4,1: 2.4 GHz, 6 GB RAM, OS 10.6.6 with plenty of HD space.

I use Egato Video Capture to capture from video tapes I made long ago. Usually it works easily. Capture then go to iMovie 9.0.2 which then creates an mp4. You can then edit, add chapters, then import it directly to iDVD 7.1.1 and then burn a DVD you can play with on the computer AND standard DVD players.

Unfortunately, it is not doing that. It creates a disk you can play fine on your computer using whatever DVD software--DVD Player, VLC--but it will not have sound in a standard DVD player.

Searching, it may be a problem with iMovie 9--some have suggested going to iMovie 6 of all things.

Any suggestions?

One person stated that the "mp4" format is data and not a DVD--but this has worked before :cry: I guess Apple, in its finite wisdom, wants iDVD to create disks you can play on your computer or AppleTV because . . . like . . . why would someone want anything else?

However, the resultant DVD does have the VIDEO_TS folder with expected contents.

--J.D.

After some searching on many FAQ and Mac boards--and trial and error--I discovered the SOLUTION to the problem.

1. Record Movie--by whatever method.

2. iMovie: IMMEDIATELY go to View and turn OFF "Audio Skimming"--it is on by default
brood.gif

c8cb10fc.jpg

Make your movie--make your chapters, et cetera.

3. Share: DO NOT then click iDVD--instead, click "Media Browser"

7ed1f095.jpg

wait . . . a few hours . . . make coffee . . . walk the dog . . . finish taxes . . . bury the bodies. . . .

You will now have a good sized rcproject file. This is your movie.

a06bf29c.jpg

4. iDVD Now go to iDVD. Go to Import -- Video and open the rcproject file.

c07e8235.jpg

5. Finish Your DVD!

I do not know--nor does anyone else it seems--why direct transfer from iMovie to iDVD does not work--this has been a problem as long ago as iMovieHD. I guess Apple assumes everyone will be happy playing movies on their computer.

--J.D.

Back