IE lags

kidxsai

Registered
i have a mac g4 400 on os9.2 i never had a problem with ie or aim before. i have a cable connection and it was smooth and quick. but now its also lagging. i dont think it had nething to do with the conneaus ei have cable and the pages load really fast n all. just somestimes when im scrolling or closing a window theres like a 10 second freeze/delay and den it closes. this is also with my aim. when someone ims me the whole comp freexes for like 10-20 seconds den i see the im. does anyone know the problem?

im really thinking of just formatting this whole mac. i have no idea about macs so can someone tell me how to format. i have the cds power mac g4 software install and restore. is this os9.2 installation cd? i know with pcs u should write down or save your drivers but with macs what should i do before i format besides backing up my data.

For one thing, I sometimes experience a little (or a lot of) lag when a popup window opens in IE, causing the same freeze you described, but I've learned to deal with that. (It's annoying, but it will eventually just stop-typically based on the size of the page it's loading, it seems.) I don't know why AIM would do that, though.

As for formatting your computer, I don't know that that would actually do anything. You shouldn't format your computer unless you have serious issues that can only be solved by such a method and will likely not return for some time. If you REALLY want to format your computer (although I highly recommend that you don't based on the band-aid cut symptoms you described), back up all your data, applications, and preferences, write down your IP address settings, and use Drive Setup after booting from the OS 9 installer disc (restart and hold down C with the disc in the drive). Make sure you select HFS+ Extended Format, and choose the smallest partition size possible. Then reinstall your system and restore your personal items.

Again, I recommend against this drastic measure. Reformatting a computer is like getting an amputation, and all you have is a little bump on your arm (it's annoying and won't necessarily go away but it's harmless). If the lag really bugs you, you should first buy and install Mac OS X because it does not have the lag problems that you described, plus all the other benefits and advantages that I won't go into now (seeing as hundreds of books and web sites are devoted just to X and all...).

yea your right. i was thinking about osx. i have a g4 400mhz 10gig HD 4gig external hd 5gig free space available 320mb ram. should i install osx? would it run smoothly?

Does this happen consistently from site to site?
I work on a G4-400 all day with 9.2.2, and though I never use AOL Instant Messenger, I do use IE (5.1.3) constantly and I have no problems at all with lag.
Here are some trouble-shooting ideas to try:

1. Double-check that you have Virtual Memory off in the Memory control panel.
2. Make sure you have the latest Explorer.
3. If you have anti-virus software, make sure it is not set to virus check web pages that have JavaScript, thats a useless feature.
4. Rebuild your Desktops (Restart and hold down ALT and APPLE till you get the Dialog)

Originally posted by BitWit
4. Rebuild your Desktops (Restart and hold down ALT and APPLE till you get the Dialog)

Hold down ALT and APPLE? What planet are you computing on? I have never, ever in my entire life seen a keyboard that has both an Alt key and an Apple key... I believe, my friend, you may be using PC's a bit too much, as PC's have the Alt key and Macs have the Option key, and kidxsai is using a Mac.

Anyway, try the stuff that BitWit suggested. A couple questions: Do you have virtual memory on right now, and if so, how much memory does it provide? What else do you use on your computer (Photoshop, Quake 3, etc.)? OS X would run well on your computer, seeing as it runs well on 400 MHz iMacs, and if you can afford to upgrade, you should do so, as long as the majority of applications you use are compatible or can be upgraded. (If you use Photoshop, Indesign, etc., then X is a good idea; if you use Quark or other non-Carbon apps, then stick with 9.)

Originally posted by arden
Hold down ALT and APPLE? What planet are you computing on? I have never, ever in my entire life seen a keyboard that has both an Alt key and an Apple key... I believe, my friend, you may be using PC's a bit too much, as PC's have the Alt key and Macs have the Option key, and kidxsai is using a Mac.

:confused: I hope you're just teasing me.

I picked up the 'Alt' habit using PC's and Macs at the same time. As long as I have known, the "option" key has ALWAYS (even on the brand-new backlit TIbooks) said 'alt' in the upper left corner of the "option" key. I notice that alot of people call my "APPLE" key the "COMMAND" key...another habit I picked up somewhere unknown.

...but I wonder, does it mean that "alt" on a mac literally means SHIFT-OPTION??? hmmm.....

If rebuilding your desktop doesn't help, I would try trashing IE's and AIM's preferences. That will usually fix problems with misbehaving apps in OS 9. If both of those do nothing, then I suggest moving to another web browser (I suggest that anyway cause IE blows!). Try iCab, Opera, or Netscape/Mozilla. If you do decide to go OS X get Safari!!

my virtual memory is set to 321mb. what happens if i turn it off? is it better to have it off or on? also what memory do u guys set ur ie to?

I would recommend turning virtual memory off altogether. You have plenty of RAM to run a few apps with....I worked worry free for years with 128 and 256 without virtual memory.

Back