iMac 10 3 9, want to upgrade to Leopard

doughnut

Registered
Ok. I looked everywhere and just can't see a thread for this completely. I have an iMac 10 3 9, PowerPC G4, and I would like to upgrade to Leopard. What would I need to do and is it even possible. I am not too amused so far by what I've come across on the internet that suggests that I can't do this. I bought this computer in 2004, it surely can't already be obsolete? Do I need to go to Tiger, then Leopard. Someone on the Apple forums said you could buy a complete install that would do the trick. I am a novice, so I don't know.

So long as you meet the minimum requirements for Leopard, you should be able to upgrade using the full retail installation sold by Apple. Not sure if the upgrade version sold by Apple will upgrade you from 10.3.9 to 10.5.x....it might require at least 10.4 for the upgrade discs.

Thank you. I have only 167 Mhz and 256 MB memory. Is it possible to add up to what is required? The problem I have is that my daughter bought an Ipod nano today and it requires iTunes 8....I am guessing that I can only get this on Leopard...though I don't know if I can get that also on Tiger. What do you think? I think I should be able to go up to Tiger. Man. I can't believe this!!!

I am still running Tiger and have iTunes 8 so there's no problem there ... all you need are the system reqs for Tiger if you don't need Leopard just yet ... I haven't the specs of your Mac at hand but I can't see why you couldn't add the RAM if you haven't enough to run Tiger ... in fact I'd almost bet on it :)

*UPDATE*​

Apple Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard General requirements

• Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor
  • 512MB of memory
  • DVD drive for installation
  • 9GB of available disk space
  • Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.
  • Some features require Apple's .Mac service; fees apply.

Apple Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger Full Specs
  • Operating System Mac OS X
  • License Complete package
  • Pricing Level Standard
  • Version 10.4
  • Media Format DVD-ROM
  • Max License Size 1 user
  • Product Type Retail
  • Required Processor Class PowerPC G3
  • Required Memory 256 MB
  • Required Disk Space 3 GB
  • Other Requirements IEEE 1394 FireWire port
  • Manufacturer Part No. M9639Z/A
  • UPC 718908376928
  • Company Info Apple

You'll need to know your G4s Processor speed so click on the Blue Apple icon and then "About This Mac" to find this info.

You can add up to a possible 2.0 GB of RAM, depending on your exact model so there's no problem with that and most here would recommend you do increase the amount of RAM anyway ... Apple states that the latter G4 models can take Leopard, the models from about mid Feb '03 on ... this doesn't necessarily mean that you wouldn't be able to install Leopard on your G4 if it's one of the earlier models thought. We'd have to see ...

You should check with us about proceeding with this, so we can help you avoid any of the common mistakes that are easily made ... ;)

Last edited:
If it's just to be able to support iTunes 8, then Tiger would be more than adequate. I'm still running Tiger (10.4.11)on my iMac G5 and it does run fantastic, although I would like to upgrade to Leopard at some point (10.5.5 seems to be pretty stable so far from what I've read and experienced).

Either way, I would recommend upgrading the RAM to at least 512 MB, preferably 1 GB (if choosing Tiger).

For 10.5, I would not even think of running it with less than 1 GB of RAM. If there is less RAM than that, then 10.4 will work better.

And for 10.4, 512 MB is the bare minimum that is usable. The more the more usable. With 10.4, there is a huge increase of speed when using 1 GB instead of 512 MB RAM, and the same differences should be with 10.5 when comparing anything less than 2 GB to 2 GB.

Back