iMac 1ghz seems extremely slow

jocknerd

Registered
I talked my mom into getting an iMac a couple of months ago. My sister called me up and was complaining about how slow the computer was. I maxed out the memory in the iMac but it still seems unresponsive. It doesn't even feel any faster than my 700mhz G3 iBook. The only difference is I installed Jaguar myself on the iBook while my moms iMac came with Jaguar preinstalled.

I know I didn't include the Classic stuff on my install. Could that be the difference? I was expecting her iMac to run circles around my iBook but its not the case.

Run a check on the permissions from the Jaq install disk. I use Norton to check for other problems. Worst case, install the system in place, which will keep all your non Apple apps and user prefs and settings.

Check the usual culprits, disk space, defrag, look at top or ProcessViewer. What's sucking the juice out of the thing?

What exactly is so dog slow on it? Which app(s)?

Did anyone install Norton in OS X? If so, get rid of it (and consider manually removing the Norton kernel extention).

My 800mHz iMac with 256 megs is usually very fast. I will be upgrading the memory soon, though.

Doug

I noticed that Photoshop Elements 2.0 was extremely slow on the iMac. Has anybody else seen a difference in speed from a pre-installed OS X and a manually installed copy?

I was really looking for quite a bit of performance improvement in the iMac over my iBook. I guess we need the G5 in the iMac.

After about 6 months of use I noticed that my 1GHz TiBook was running slower than it had been, so I backed up everything and did a reformat-reinstall. MUCH faster startup/shutdown and app launching. General app use is probably the same, which is to say fast enough for me. I'm not sure if Archive and Install will give the same results.

I use Elements on my 800 mHz iMac. It's a heck of a lot faster than my 500 mHz iBook. What iBook did/do you have, jocknerd?

Doug

Back