iMac 2.8 GHz: noise level of different hard disks ?

gator

Registered
Dear All,

I am thinking of ordering one of the new 24" iMac 2.8 GHz machines.

However I find it difficult to choose which hard disk to order. I prefer not to use external hard disks, but would like to have as much space as possible. I also very much like a quiet machine.

Does anyone have experience with the noise levels of the 2.8 GHz iMacs, comapring the model with 500 GB, 750 GB and 1 TB hard disks?

My guess is that one factor is noise from the drive itself, and another one is possibly increased fan activity if one of those drives produces more heat.

If the noise levels are comparable I would surely go for the 1 TB version.
If the model with the 1 TB disk makes more noise I would go for the 750.

Thanks!

Dear All,

If the noise levels are comparable I would surely go for the 1 TB version.
If the model with the 1 TB disk makes more noise I would go for the 750.

Thanks!

The noise level is also depend on the brand of drive and its usage. Therefore it will be hard to give any definite suggestion to you.

My experience is that harddrives are quite silent by themselves, only making noise when used - what you hear than is the movement of the head(s). The power consumption between drives will be only minor in general, the capacity is not that important for the power consumption and certain not in ratio. Otherwise try to compare the drives from any brand in noise / power comsumption (unless you can find out with model the computer comes with, than ofcourse compare the models themselves).

If you like the capacity, take the 1tb, but it is quite expensive compared to the smaller drives. 750gb is than the better choice.

Good luck, Kees

Does someone now the exact hard disk models Apple is currently using in the 2.8 iMac? So I can check the specs of the disks?

Back