iMovie export losing audio/video sync

hazmat

Rusher of Din
I imported about an hour of footage from MiniDV into iMovie. It split it into seven clips, and all play just fine. When I exported the project into either iDVD or Quicktime so I could import it into iDVD, the end of the movie lost sync of audio and video. It seems maybe about after a half hour, the voice starts to get about one to two seconds ahead of the video. I tried both iDVD format and Quicktime highest quality, and the same thing happens. Anyone know what the deal here is? This is a G4 867 and I made sure that nothing else was running, and even tried again after restarting OS X. No clue what is happening.

Thanks.

I'm having the same problem. I heard that there is an audio sync issue involving the latest versions of Final Cut Pro and Quicktime. I wonder if the problem is a bug in Quicktime.

Is the imported audio 12bit as opposed to 16bit?

From the Apple KBase:

TITLE

iMovie 2: Audio and Video Lose Synchronization When Exported to QuickTime or iDVD

TOPIC

Creating iMovie projects with DV footage that uses 12-bit audio may cause a gradual loss of audio/video synchronization when the project is exported to QuickTime or iDVD.

DISCUSSION

Symptom

When exporting an iMovie project to QuickTime or iDVD, audio and video gradually lose synchronization.

Products affected
• iMovie 2.0 and later
• Mac OS 9
• Mac OS X

Solution

For best results when creating long movies (over 20 minutes), record footage using 16-bit audio. Recording with 12-bit audio may result in a gradual loss of audio-video synchronization. Check the manual that came with your DV camcorder to find out how to se the audio format.

If you have already created a project with 12-bit audio, you may be able to export the project to QuickTime as follows:
1. Export the iMovie project that contains the 12-bit audio footage to a DV camcorder set to 16-bit audio.
2. Open a new project in iMovie.
3. Import the fresh footage you created in step 1 from the camcorder into the project you created in step 2.
4. Export this project to QuickTime.

That happened to me once. The fix was to re-record in 16-bit audio. Good thing it was only when I was transfering VHS to MiniDV. :)

Back