iMovie versus Final Cut Pro

Ptpiz

Registered
I use Final Cut Pro 4 in my work and recently also got iLife 04' and must say that the iMovie application has IMPROVED in every aspect. ESPECIALLY in stability.

I have one question though. Is there a difference between the quality that iMovie captures DV video in versus Final Cut Pro 4. The only reason I ask is because I am interested in capturing my movies in iMovie from now on because iMovie cuts the scenes into different files for you (which is VERY useful to me). Please let me know if the quality capture is any different from iMovie to FCP and also, if FCP is better, please let me know of a way to make FCP capture in scenes. ThanX in advance

AFAIK, you can only capture video in one format with iMovie: full-resolution, high-quality (and highly space-taking) DV footage. FCP lets you choose the format you want to capture.

Arden said:
AFAIK, you can only capture video in one format with iMovie: full-resolution, high-quality (and highly space-taking) DV footage. FCP lets you choose the format you want to capture.

But, what I am asking is.... IS THE FULL DV QUALITY IN iMovie the Same as FCP 4's FULL DV CAPTURE?

iMovie uses raw DV stream files, while FCP creates its own fancy QuickTime based files. It's the same codec and the same quality, packed in different files.

ksv said:
iMovie uses raw DV stream files, while FCP creates its own fancy QuickTime based files. It's the same codec and the same quality, packed in different files.

That's what i thought, Thank you. But, is there any way on earth to capture movies in FCP 4 and have FCP split them into scenes like iMovie does?

FCP isn't for that, DVD Studio Pro will kill iDVD, but there is quite the learning curve. iApps are for the budding pro, FCP and DVDPro is for the Pro, well those that think they are, because some work could have been done with the iApps and came out much better. :)

Yeah, there is quite the learning curve for Final Cut and for DVD Studio Pro. But once you've mastered them, they're really amazing programs. Definately worth the time and effort to learn how to use them.

DV is DV, so yes it's the same quality as others have mentioned.

As for automatically cutting scenes in FCP, yes it's doable. I don't have the exact instructions in my head cuz I don't do it much, but you basically automatically create markers by scene detection and then choose a cut to markers option. Something like that.

I'm heading out to a meeting now, but I'll follow up later.

I would definitely avoid iMovie in most cases simply because AFAIK it does not (or did not, maybe v4 does) save timecode data with the clip. This makes it impossible to recapture automatically.

Back