Importing video from an Sony HD camera

rodeman

Registered
For my job, I need to shoot some video and we purchased a Sony HDR-XR100 HD video camera. I was expecting, since it was a hard drive camera, that I could plug it into my mac, have it recognized and then drag the file to my Mac hard drive and have the file.

No such luck with that. I had to use iMovie to import it and I'm not even sure where the actual video file sits. I looked at the "drive" that shows up when I connect the camera to the computer via USB. I can see the photos I've taken with the video camera without any problem. But I do not see any MPG video files at all. I know they are on there, I can watch them on the camera and I can import them via iMovie, but I can't see them at all.

Does anyone have any experience with a Sony or any other HD video camera? IS it possible to grab those files somehow or am I stuck importing them this way instead of being able to just grab the video file in it's raw format?

Thanks for the help. I'm thinking I may have to return this and find something that works better with a Mac.

John

Back