Inconsistent problems with Kotoeri

Munsey

Registered
I finally figured out how to use Kotoeri but am now running into a problem when trying to enter Japanese text in certain applications. I have no problems entering Japanese text into MS Word documents or into a Google search box in Camino (no problem in the Finder, either), but in other programs like Safari when I try to enter Japanese text, I get a little window that pops up that the text I'm typing appears in. I can hit enter after I've typed but then the text just plain disappears and doesn't show up in the Google search box, text entry box on a forum, etc. It also does weird things in Eudora. What I see when this happens looks like the attached picture. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Attachments

• kotoeri.jpg
    kotoeri.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 8
Hmm, I usually only see the input box show up when I'm entering text into some old Carbon app. Try disabling font and keyboard synchronization in the input menu tab's Options button. Maybe it's just getting confused. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know, but it's hard to configure the thing when the IM is 80% Kanji. Heh.

Any chance you've got a screenshot of what you're talking about? My five weeks of Japanese training (so far) isn't helping me too much in finding this...

Basically, I see exactly what you see, but the input box only shows up when using some really old app that probably isn't fully supported by the IM.

So far, I haven't been able to figure out what toggles this. I've seen the input bar show up in some Cocoa apps that normally don't need it, which is quite odd. Usually this is fixed with a logout at most. I probably don't read Japanese any better than you do, so the help files aren't much use. It's probably something really obvious, too, bud damned if I know what.

Back